House temp from 67 to 75 in one hour!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VCBurner

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 2, 2010
Templeton, MA
I've never heated with another stove. But the Surdiac did the job this morning: temp of 67 °C in the house at 9:20am when it started to 75 °C an hour later! When the flue temp got up to 500 °C I shut the primary air to about a 1/2" then a few minutes later all the way when flue temp reached 550. My thermostat is broken otherwise I wouldn't have to touch it. The magic heat assisted the whole operation (I'm sorry if some of you don't approve.) With a small fire box and no fancy cat or secondary burn only a large heat exchanger in the rear of the stove.

We are all spoiled here, last winter(pre wood stove) 67 °C would have been acceptable! Not anymore. I hope to never have to heat with oil again! Good day ladies and gents enjoy the rest of the weekend and burn on!

Attachments

• Surdiac in fireplace.jpg
    Surdiac in fireplace.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 644
VCBurner said:
I've never heated with another stove. But the Surdiac did the job this morning: temp of 67 °C in the house at 9:20am when it started to 75 °C an hour later! When the flue temp got up to 500 °C I shut the primary air to about a 1/2" then a few minutes later all the way when flue temp reached 550. My thermostat is broken otherwise I wouldn't have to touch it. The magic heat assisted the whole operation (I'm sorry if some of you don't approve.) With a small fire box and no fancy cat or secondary burn only a large heat exchanger in the rear of the stove.

We are all spoiled here, last winter(pre wood stove) 67 °C would have been acceptable! Not anymore. I hope to never have to heat with oil again! Good day ladies and gents enjoy the rest of the weekend and burn on!

You got the house up to 167 degrees Fahrenheit. Wow!

You got the house up to 167 degrees Fahrenheit. Wow![/quote]

Thanks for doing the math. I thought something looked funny...

BrotherBart said:
VCBurner said:

You got the house up to 167 degrees Fahrenheit. Wow!

"LOL, yeah, I guess that was a little misleading, °F , is more like it. Sorry guys! :-S "

Pretty impressive for basement heating. I'd say the house was setup well for convection and is nicely insulated to boot.

BeGreen said:
Pretty impressive for basement heating. I'd say the house was setup well for convection and is nicely insulated to boot.

Thanks BG I was wondering if I'm getting good results compared to others. Yeah, the house is pretty well insulated, but the windows and doors are old single pane with outside storms. They seem to do ok for old windows though.

I still think that stove is awesome looking!!! And apparently works pretty well too.

dispatcher101 said:
I still think that stove is awesome looking!!! And apparently works pretty well too.

Thanks, Pat. Yeah, I guess it does work well!! It, must be because the folks in Belgium have been heating with wood before we even colonized. Especially considering I paid $80, for it. I saw on CL last night one was going for$800, up in Maine!!!
The only downer for me is the small firebox only fits up to 17" logs. At just over a cubic foot I got up to a small coal bed 6 hors after the last feeding. It also has a small top loading door, which is better for loading coal into the removable hopper. My father in law has the Surdiac 715, with the large top loading door and bigger fire box that fits up to 19.5" logs. He gets 8-12 hours between reloads. They also made the Le Marquis, which could get up to 14 hours between loads and fit 24" logs!

Here's some info on the 513:

High Combustion Efficiency:
The Surdiac 513 stove is one of the most efficient stoves available today. Its high efficiency is achieved by thoroughly utilizing the maximum amount of heat generated by the stove. Hot flue gases are directed into a large heat exchanger rather than going directly up the chimney. The stove achieves efficiency ratings of over 87%!
Porcelainized Heat Exchanger:
Located on the back of the stove, this heat exchanger provides 1,175 square inches of surface area, which is larger than any other comparable stove on the market today. Optimum heat exchange is achieved by extending the flue gas path to exit the stove through the heat exchanger, thereby transferring additional heat to the room. The porcelain finish retards rust and increases the life of this heat exchanger.
Glass Door:
Of the total amount of heat generated by this stove up to 3% is radiated directly into the room through the large glass door. The door also allows you to enjoy the beauty of viewing your glowing fire, as well as allowing you to monitor the condition of the fire at a glance.

Here's the down low on the 715:

Surdiac Wood / Coal Stove, model 715
Large Hopper Feed Door:
The 715 have a large hopper feed door for easier loading of coal. Just raise the cabinet top and the feed door, then pour your coal into a large opening. With their large coal capacity, this stove is capable of 24 hour burn time.
Traditional Door Styling:
The large glass door allows an attractive view of the coal burning below the hopper. The arched window panes represent traditional AMerican styling. These large glass panels also allow more heat to radiate into your room.
Decorator Color:
The Surdiac 715 come in a blend of light and dark grey which will complement any home's decor. Today's stove must not only be an efficient heat, but must also be good looking. this stove will be a welcome piece of fine furniture in your home.
Wood / Coal Combination:
This highly efficient stove from Surdiac converts easily from a coal burner into a wood stove. Just lift out the coal hopper, replace the two guide plates, and you are now ready to burn wood up to 19 1/2" long. Both wood and coal are easily loaded through the large top feed door.

Info from:
http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/68/catalogs/Wood-and-Coal-Stoves-Manufacturers-Cross-Reference.html

Attachments

• Surdiac 715.jpg
    Surdiac 715.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 415
Status
Not open for further replies.