Houston............the SUmmit has landed....FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
very nice!

enjoy those cold paulie girls.

:)

Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Looks nice and warm there Hogz. That PE stove will keep you a happy man for a long time (lasts longer than the fun with the nymphos).

Have a great, warm, New Year!

Thanks HW. We are totally wired now. I have a new computer hooked up and got booted off last night so my son's can try out the high-end graphics on their games. I settled back in front of the fire with a book and a rum-spiked eggnog. The rum is Sikhim, from India and is like nothing you've ever tried. It's almost a shame to put it in eggnog. I'm not a rum man, but this stuff is pretty special. Made in limited batches, it never makes it into this country unless you have a friend bring it back for you.

Have a great Christmas and New Years!

BeGreen said:
Thanks HW. We are totally wired now. I have a new computer hooked up and got booted off last night so my son's can try out the high-end graphics on their games. I settled back in front of the fire with a book and a rum-spiked eggnog. The rum is Sikhim, from India and is like nothing you've ever tried. It's almost a shame to put it in eggnog. I'm not a rum man, but this stuff is pretty special. Made in limited batches, it never makes it into this country unless you have a friend bring it back for you.

Have a great Christmas and New Years!

Glad to hear your back online. I have my computer I built that I use for work & my online gaming etc. The woman has her own, our daughter has the my old one I updated, and our yougest son has his own that I need to upgrade. Of course the daughter password protected hers and forgot the password, so that one needs to be wiped clean and OS reinstalled etc. I AM the only one with internet at the moment. Being in the woods I had two choices, dial up or satellite internet. I choce satellite, which has a bandwidth usage cap. Therefore I use it exclusively for now until I finish the new office in the addition. Once I figure what my work & such uses. I'll divy the rest up between the rest of the household. I would suggest you make limited user accounts for your computer if the kids will be using it. Kids almost always download junk, viruses, trojans etc. With a limited user account, it linits what they can download, and usually can't install programs unless you as the administrator log on and allow it. Just make sure you remember you password, write it down. Cause if you forget, they will be able to access their account, but no programs, games etc will be able to be installed. Kisa almost always slowly kill a computer. Not intentionally, just by their webpage viewing, deleting specific needed files etc. Thats why I have my own , and they have theirs. Mine is still cruising, theirs are dead for the moment.

I had a run in with rum when I was in my teens, got sick off it, can't even smell the cap now. Same goes for wiskey, tequila and any colored alcohol. Dunno why. I can get sickon Gin, Vodka, Grain and still drink it again. The others, forget it. Beer is ok to, must be psychological I guess.

Xmas was nice, the new insert really set my mood, and it was the best present I received, from myself of course ;).
The kids had a blast, and its always nice to relive those youger years, esp Xmas time through their smiles & laughter.
New years will be warm inside , I know that ;)

elkimmeg said:
Great we have ignition gentleman start your stoves.

Thanks for all your help & tips Elk. I ended up making the blok off plate in 3 pieces. I got the liner down and onto the stove with relative ease. By yourself can get challenging though, especially connecting each section and lowering & re clamping the clamp supporting while connecting etc. I decided to connect the adapter, and liner to the stove, and build the block off plate around it. I would not do it that way again. That was close to a total of 1/2 the total install time. I had about 4" between insert top & block of plate to work with, and it was a pain in the arse. I am glad I bought a right angle drill attachment last month, because it made the difference of tearing the insert out to do the plate & not. I wore latex gloves as you suggested, thank god!. I'll add also to wear a junk long sleeve shirt. Cause my white thermal shirt was now white, orange (600 degree silicone) and black (furnace cement). I and my tools were a mess. But I trudged on and got her done. Seems like the hard way though.
You help was of great value, and I appreciate you advice. Made this novice install easier than it could have been.
Thanks again.

HW nice looking hearth, I kinda like the brick work its different then the standard clay looking brick! Congrats on your hard work, its sure rewarding knowing you did it , and you did it right! Ease of mind and ease of soul while you watch your game in the comfort of your fire! Sticking it to the oil mongers, and electric monopolies is an added benefit, pat yourself on the back, and my dear father inlaw (god rest his soul) thanks you for drinking the paulie girl he sold that stuff till the day he died!

hardwood715 said:
HW nice looking hearth, I kinda like the brick work its different then the standard clay looking brick! Congrats on your hard work, its sure rewarding knowing you did it , and you did it right! Ease of mind and ease of soul while you watch your game in the comfort of your fire! Sticking it to the oil mongers, and electric monopolies is an added benefit, pat yourself on the back, and my dear father inlaw (god rest his soul) thanks you for drinking the paulie girl he sold that stuff till the day he died!

In time, and when cash saved for it..I will be revamping the brick wall & hearth. Right now its a dark blue with spakles LOL. The edge faing out is painted ca metallic copper. It came with the house that way when I bought it. In person IMHO its ugly as sin. I will be putting cultured stone over the brick, a blend of natural blue, gray, redish etc colors. Loose laid flat stone cut look. Like a farmers field loose laid stone wall. I MUST & soon extent the hearth out to reah specified clearnaces. I have one sheet of dura rock that came with the house also in the garage. I will get another double it up and most likely lay a tile on top. Or I might get some blue flagstone and lay that don in front. I won't buid them up to the level of existing hearth. It will drop down so to say. I am happy to stick it to "da man", or the men that feel they have control over our heating necessities. F'em, they will get as lil of my hard earned greenbacks as possible.
I used to drink St Pauli Girl reg. quite a bit when I was younger. Don't drink alot thee days, unless its at the strip club ;).
But I decided to treat myself to this special dark case and its very tasty. I usually have a beer or two and just savor the flavor.

Summit insert........$2,169.16
Drua Liner combo rigid double wall insulated & 5' flez at insert with cap & accessories..........$1,084.00
Case od St. Pauli Girl Special Dark..........$26.50
Installing insert, sitting by a warm relaxing fire, watching my Eagles stomp Dallas and having a couple cold ones while watching............. PRICELESS!!!!!!!
oh, add some nookie in the big bathroon while the kids are upstairs playing with their new toys.......Double priceless ;)

That looks great, what an awesome Christmas gift for yourself and the family! Here's to a warm winter :coolsmile:

Looks good! Reminds me of my Quad 2700i - not too intrusive, but probably bigger. What hit me is that my door has the hinges on the left. I never thought about that before. I wonder what's most common?

HW, is the satellite a whole bunch better? I'm in the bandwidth deprived group myself. The cable company says they'll put in cable if I and 20 of my neighbors each fork over a grand. Big hearted of them. And I'm really not that much in the sticks at all. With my luck, as soon as I buy satellite, they'll string cable.

velvetfoot said:
Looks good! Reminds me of my Quad 2700i - not too intrusive, but probably bigger. What hit me is that my door has the hinges on the left. I never thought about that before. I wonder what's most common?

HW, is the satellite a whole bunch better? I'm in the bandwidth deprived group myself. The cable company says they'll put in cable if I and 20 of my neighbors each fork over a grand. Big hearted of them. And I'm really not that much in the sticks at all. With my luck, as soon as I buy satellite, they'll string cable.

Satellite is expensive. Install usually about $199.00, they have deals from time to time for free install. I got the deal. Modem, dish & wiring $317.00 including tax.
Monthly charge. $80.00 including tax. Bandwidth cap depends on provider, two major ones Hughes net & wild blue. I got wild blue. search both and research, different bandwidth structures. Both capped though, Although I play a few online games, send large files for works & all & don't come near the cap each month.
Your ok as long as your not movie, music swapping. Def. better than dial up IMHO. Doesn't take an hour to d/l a file, program or large pic file. Lose connection here and there. Usually real bad rain storms. Don't know about snow yet, fist year here and no snow yet. All in all I could never go back to dial up. Wild blue does throw in 10 free hrs dial up also with the plan I have. I just could never go dial up again. Went from dialup to dsl to cable, now down to satellite. Thats SUCKS LOL.
Cable rocked. The place I just sold & moved from just had Fiber optic set up, I didn't get it though. Thats the new kid on the block and is taking the country by storm. Blows even cable away they say. But in the sticks here, I'll suffice with my expensive satellite.

I get 1.5 mb d/l, 300kb upload. Many online games won't play though. Satellite being the beam has to go from your computer into space to satellite then back down to earrth...... high ping times. I play starcraft, but ,my ping is 700 once upon a time, now 1200-1700. Usually ok in a 2 person against 6 comp map.

Thanks a lot for the tips. I went down to the town board meeting and whined to no avail I'm sure. I don't think there's anybody to complain to.

velvetfoot said:
Thanks a lot for the tips. I went down to the town board meeting and whined to no avail I'm sure. I don't think there's anybody to complain to.

Unless theres money in it for the cable co, you won't see it anytime soon.
The fiber optic on the ohter hand. From what I have read & am being told, the telco MUST make that available to every household. When is another story. It is a telecommunication thing. And they are changing all the lines. So theoretically it will surface some day. Being in the sticks I imagine I may never see it. They told me 2 yrs the entire state will have it. The service guy I talked to laughed and said they dont even have it in all the big cities yet, which is where they will concentrate on first.
We are just screwed, but hey we got something if not much. Still better then nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.