How about cedar?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MoDoug

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2018
NE Missouri
I've mentioned in a different post about cutting trees in a campground, about hickory vs. oak. There are also several cedar trees marked for cutting, that no one is touching, of course that may or may not change once the oak and hickory are gone. I think some people have a bad perception about burning cedar in a wood stove. I think a lot of it will still be available, and am wondering if it is worth my effort to grab some while I can? Also, is the sap tough on saws?

Reactions: IowaRSFBurner
I don't know about a couple of years, but once dry it burns just fine. Less dense than oak or hickory, so that's why it is being left behind. All wood has about 7,000 btu/lb, but a pound of oak takes up less space than a pound of cedar.

The bark can dull a chain a bit. Not sure the why/how but a new chain seems to last longer in a course of a day vs a rag chain. This being west coast red cedar and a day of timber cutting. Wouldn’t think it would be that noticeable just firewooding

Reactions: MoDoug
13 million BTU in a cord. No thanks.

I do use it for kindling and it is great for that.

+1 for making good kindling. They also are good for corner posts as well as long as when you cut in to it there is know white in the heartwood. I would probably pass on getting to much of it for firewood.

I always liked the smell of cedar in outdoor fires, but now that it's mentioned I do remember it popping a lot, not sure I want that in the stove, especially when I go to open the door. Sounds like it isn't worth much effort either, especially from the BTU standpoint. I may take down at least one tree, just to have some for kindling and to help the Corps by removing it. Thanks for the comments, it's all appreciated.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Is Cedar similar to Spruce? Low density and lots of popping sounds like the white spruce we have around here.

Anyone know why western cedar and eastern cedar have such different BTU ratings?

I’ve burned both. Spruce burns longer. Never burned anything from the east but I will say there’s a difference between old growth and second growth. Cedar splits way easier. Not too bad if you can shut the air off to your stove. I wouldn’t want to take up too much room in a wood shed with cedar if I had another choice or even thought something else might come available

Reactions: ABMax24
We have a pole yard locally, and most of the poles are cedar. They give away the trimmings, and a lot of local folks burn them. Poles are classed, and if one is too short for one class and too long for another, they trim it to fit the shorter class.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I dont mind my cedar at all... it dried so fast, split so easily... smells so good... and its not like 100 pounds of cedar is going to be any more work than 100 lbs of something else. Too low density for long burns of course... cant fit more than 15lbs or so in the stove at a time. But if its free im taking it... maybe just for the smell!

Reactions: Alpine1
I got some cedar this year with the intention of using for kindling , just a couple six foot logs. I was surprised when I ran it though the super-split because it would pop. I had many splits shot out of the splitter to the side. I have heard stories of folks being hit by popping splits so be careful.

I dont mind my cedar at all... it dried so fast, split so easily... smells so good... and its not like 100 pounds of cedar is going to be any more work than 100 lbs of something else. Too low density for long burns of course... cant fit more than 15lbs or so in the stove at a time. But if its free im taking it... maybe just for the smell!
Thiers a recipe for a runaway fire!!!

100 pounds of cedar is twice the work of 100 pounds of oak. Because there are twice as many pieces to split.

Reactions: Lakeside and johneh
I don't run much cedar as actual wood in the woodstove . . . but if I find some I will whack it into kindling.

I went today to the campground where I've been cutting down trees with the intention to cut down a cedar. Once I got there I went full cut down mode on hickory, going back tomorrow to concentrate on oak. At some point I'm going to include a cedar for kindling and just to mix it in.