How are cords sold?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought three cords of firewood a few weeks ago. After stacking it, I realized it was 38' long, 4' high, and 18" deep (being generous).

I ran those numbers through a calculator and found I was over a cord short. I texted the supplier what I had found and he lost his mind and told me he would come and get the wood.

I had a chance to discuss it with him when he arrived. He said all firewood cord calculations are based on a 24" log depth, not 18" or 16", which is what he actually delivered.

Is this common practice? Or is he just being shady?

I've never heard of a cut wood being sold as a standard length of 24. Really, there is no standard. A cord is 128 cubic feet, period. Unless it is a face cord, then it is a 4 ft x 8 ft stack of cut wood, whatever the length. The lack of a third dimension is why people here don't like using the face cord measurement.

Reactions: Tyler
A cord has nothing to do with the lenght of the wood it is a stack 4' deep 4' high and 8' long. You got 1.78 cords

Last edited:
Reactions: Applesister
I would asked for money back...... That was very short on product.

Pretty much the standard here is 16" length, So a face cord is 8'x4'x16" or 1/3 cord. 16" x 3 = 4ft.

So basically you wanted 9 rows to get a full 3 cord or a 72 foot row.

Thats why face cords should not be used at all they are not a real measurement at all

Reactions: firefighterjake
Thats why face cords should not be used at all they are not a real measurement at all

Yeah it's a non measurement here but everyone I know who cuts wood including firewood sellers go 16" so it's easy to sell small amounts.

For instance, I know a guy who sells wood from his property an stacks 8x4 so when you collect it's 3 stacks a cord.

Not that I have ever bought wood.

Yeah I would ask for my money back or the rest of the wood. Even using the 24" method it would take 2 rows of 24" wood to equal 3 rows of 16" wood at the 4ft tall , 4ft wide, and 8' long dimension for a single cord of wood. Just like @bmblank said. It's 128 cubic feet that make a cord.

That may be try but i need 24" cuts so my face cord is a half of a cord here it is sold by the cord or fractions of a cord

A lot of firewood dealers are shady. Splitting wood without an expensive processor is labor intensive. They are trying to maximize their $.

He knew exactly what he was bringing you. He didn't count on YOU knowing.

Reactions: Applesister
Pretty much the standard here is 16" length, So a face cord is 8'x4'x16" or 1/3 cord. 16" x 3 = 4ft.

So basically you wanted 9 rows to get a full 3 cord or a 72 foot row.

Sigh. That's what I thought.

Man, buying firewood is a major pain around here. Everyone wants to pad their numbers. Stay away from Ben from Lafayette: http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/grd/4597041492.html

When he sells you three 128 cu ft cords, he means 202.66 cu ft (using an average 16" depth) and 1.58 cords. I got some money back, but I was probably too generous. I gave him a higher rate per cord.

This reminds me of my first wood purchase. The seller said he delivered 1 cord. After I stacked it, it came out to 96 cu ft. (3/4 of a cord)

When I called the seller, his first question to me was "well, how did you stack it?" I told him it didn't matter how it was stacked because the volume would always equal 96 cu ft.

He delivered 1.25 cord on the next delivery.

How are cords sold?
Green n wet usually...they call it "seasoned" But you got shorted, that's illegal. You could call the local Ag extension office or DNR, see who "enforces" firewood sales, could at least make a complaint 'bout him.
Also, your link to his CL will disappear soon unless you copy it now...like this. Mods, feel free to take this down if it is a problem
Might wanna post his #. If anybody does a search on him in the future, this thread will come up...

Posted: a month ago

***Firewood/Smoking Wood*** (LaFayette)
00T0T_lNkp2F2O5ag_600x450.jpg

If you are in need of firewood (all hardwoods) or smoking wood (hickory/pecan/oak) I can meet your needs. Wood is cut split and stacked. Free delivery within 10 miles. If the delivery is farther a delivery charge will be added. Stock up now before it gets cold and the demand goes up! It will be logs 6-8inches wide and 16-20 inches long which is perfect for campfires.

Hardwood(hardwood mix)
1/2 Cord (1Rick)=64 cu. ft $70.00
Full Cord (2 Ricks)=128 cu. ft $125.00

Smoking wood(Completely hickory, or pecan while it lasts)If you prefer another wood I can do that as well like oak
1/2 Cord (1 Rick)=64 cu. ft $90.00
Full Cord (2 Ricks)=$170.00

Campwood (Pine) pickup preferred but can deliver for a fee
1/2 Cord=$50.00
Full Cord=$95.00
  • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
post id: 4597041492

posted: a month ago

updated: 16 days ago

Last edited:
Up here I had never even heard of a "face cord" . . . and anyone trying to sell wood by the face cord would have a stern talking to . . . a cord is a cord is a cord. 128 cubic feet . . . good rule of thumb is to 4 x 4 x 8 feet.

Forget about face cords.

When firewood is bought/sold it is in cords. 4'X4'X8' period. That's it.
I hate shady people.
That guy ripped you off.
If you can't get him to make it right, I would post his name/number on Craigslist, if that is where you bought it.
Report him.

That's way too cheap for a cord. Even for mixed hardwood, $125 just isn't enough. I like getting a deal, but I don't know anyone willing to cut, split, load and deliver a cord for that.

That's way too cheap for a cord. Even for mixed hardwood, $125 just isn't enough. I like getting a deal, but I don't know anyone willing to cut, split, load and deliver a cord for that.

I know, right? When I asked for a refund, I took the market rate, as I saw it ($225 per cord) and asked for a refund based on that rate (not the advertised rate) and the given amount delivered/paid.

I hadn't realized at the time I made the purchase that it was so low. Took me sizing up what I had to start thinking about it. Shame on me. But false advertising isn't a joke either. Shrug.

I bought three cords of firewood a few weeks ago. After stacking it, I realized it was 38' long, 4' high, and 18" deep (being generous).

I ran those numbers through a calculator and found I was over a cord short. I texted the supplier what I had found and he lost his mind and told me he would come and get the wood.

I had a chance to discuss it with him when he arrived. He said all firewood cord calculations are based on a 24" log depth, not 18" or 16", which is what he actually delivered.

Is this common practice? Or is he just being shady?

A cord is 128 cubic feet no matter how it is cut. What you got was 228 cu ft. What you paid for is 384 cu ft

Honest firewood sellers are like unicorns - everyone has heard of them, no one has seen one.

by the numbers 128 cubic feet = 1 cord, generally according to various DNR or Weight and measures gov. offices apx 10% of that area is allowed for air gaps between the pieces so at that spec it would be a solid cube of 115.2 cubic feet. Then we have the enterprising individuals selling "chords" I have absolutely no idea what a chord is. Lately everything being advertised is of course seasoned (yep with bar oil and 2 stroke exhaust). Trulely dried wood , for most part, it isn't. And last but not least are the operators selling mixed hard wood which to them means anything that isn't a connifer. ( ya that means willow, cotton, bass, popple and the like)at $275 or better for one of their custom Chords. All in all buyer beware is the order of the day.

by the numbers 128 cubic feet = 1 cord, generally according to various DNR or Weight and measures gov. offices apx 10% of that area is allowed for air gaps between the pieces so at that spec it would be a solid cube of 115.2 cubic feet. Then we have the enterprising individuals selling "chords" I have absolutely no idea what a chord is. Lately everything being advertised is of course seasoned (yep with bar oil and 2 stroke exhaust). Trulely dried wood , for most part, it isn't. And last but not least are the operators selling mixed hard wood which to them means anything that isn't a connifer. ( ya that means willow, cotton, bass, popple and the like)at $275 or better for one of their custom Chords. All in all buyer beware is the order of the day.

Three knots is a chord of wood.

Every thing in my area is sold by the 'rick'. Its the same as a face cord. If i have to buy wood i pick it up myself and measure the stack first. I figure 3 ricks to a cord. And at $40 to $50 a rick it equals around $150 a cord. But seasoned wood only means it was cut in the summer. I hope the guys makes it right with you.

Three knots is a chord of wood.

That was clever. Must be a theory guy!! If the chords are properly arranged with a hook you've got a hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.