how big is your wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyny

Feeling the Heat
Nov 16, 2007
upstate ny
I got some pretty big stuff last year. I ended up with a pretty big chiropractor bill in the end.
This is probably just small potatoes to some of you logger folks.

Mike

Attachments

• look at my wood 002.jpg
    look at my wood 002.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 841
Looks pretty typical for here on the west coast, I have an oak bigger then that coming down when the snow clears. But that is a damn nice tree

Here's the contents of a tree-service dump truck I got last spring; the big pieces are mostly red oak. If I had to haul those myself, I would have had to do a fair bit of splitting on-site first.

Attachments

• oak1.jpg
    oak1.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 719
  • oak2.jpg
    oak2.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 738
That's a nice looking piece of maple, Mikey. Love to bury my splitting maul in that baby. Not bad either, Disco. Sad to lose such a nice tree, though.

I wish I had what it takes to chop one of those big trees down. It was between 2 house's in a city near me. One of the tree guys I know took it to task. He must have got big bucks for that one. He used a crane for most of it to limit the collateral damage. All I had to do was roll the big pieces up into my truck. We used a few planks and lots of OOOOMPH to get them into the truck. I have been very fortunate to have connections like that. Sometimes he drops stuff off at the house for me already cut to size.

Mike

Eric Johnson said:
That's a nice looking piece of maple, Mikey. Love to bury my splitting maul in that baby. Not bad either, Disco. Sad to lose such a nice tree, though.

What's even more sad is that there are several oaks larger than that one that have blown down in the woods off my street in the last couple years. Whenever my daughter and I go walking back there they taunt me; each one is probably a year's worth of wood. No practical way to haul them out even if I had a saw that size, and unclear legalities in any case. (County parkland.) They actually might make decent sawlogs, since they are aways from houses. Ah well, termites gotta eat and ants gotta nest...

When I look at a tree that size, I alternately wonder how it could possibly fall down and how it could possible stay up.

nice wood;good thing yer burning it in a barrel stove,ohterwise you'd need 10 years to season them rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.