How can I check if my liner is insulated?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Thanks for sharing this. I asked about this during the install but they said the tight space made it too tight to dif a proper liner and the wrap so they opted to do the filled thermal insulation material.

Thanks for sharing this. I asked about this during the install but they said the tight space made it too tight to dif a proper liner and the wrap so they opted to do the filled thermal insulation material.
A reasonable option is to break out the clay liner. I had that done on my chimney for that exact reason. That said, I not sure I’d want that company doing that and messing things up further. I don’t think it’s too late to ask for your money back and find a better company. I’d question if they even know how to make it right.

I see. Thank you for your input I'll keep all posted

You can bet they’re going to try and reuse that crushed liner. They’ll do just enough to make it look better from on top. My prediction.

Reactions: begreen and bholler
You can bet they’re going to try and reuse that crushed liner. They’ll do just enough to make it look better from on top. My prediction.
Maybe a plan of action and items covered should be reviewed with the owner before they proceed.

I agree that is a good idea

Maybe a plan of action and items covered should be reviewed with the owner before they proceed.

Thats why I brought it up. Warning! It’s like sending a steak back at a restaurant, at best they’ll microwave it for a minute to get it less pink. It’s not like you get a new steak.

Reactions: begreen
Thats why I brought it up. Warning! It’s like sending a steak back at a restaurant, at best they’ll microwave it for a minute to get it less pink. It’s not like you get a new steak.
At least it doesn't matter much if they spit on your liner...but the steak is another matter! :oops:

Ha thanks for the laughs guys! Here's to hoping this gets sorted out.

Wanted to give an update. The crew came back. Polite but definitely didn't seem as friendly as last time haha - maybe it was in my head.

Anyway, they pulled the liner, put in one that is actually insulated (looks like an insulation wrap around the liner, rather than the packed stuff from before). They then cemented the top of the liner where it exits the terra cotta to create a custom top plate, as they didnt have that fit the custom ovalization needed. He took photos of the entire process to show me, including a photo of the insulation coming up all the way to the top of the terra cotta, before they cemented over it. It looked a lot better this time - cement job seems good, the oval shape was better looking, and the insulation was the type you guys talked about here. I'm much happier now.

Not doing another fire today though - it's HOT! Also waiting for it to cool down to inspect the work on the chimney but the photos were detailed so I'm not as anxious this time around.

Thanks for the help everyone...

Wanted to give an update. The crew came back. Polite but definitely didn't seem as friendly as last time haha - maybe it was in my head.

Anyway, they pulled the liner, put in one that is actually insulated (looks like an insulation wrap around the liner, rather than the packed stuff from before). They then cemented the top of the liner where it exits the terra cotta to create a custom top plate, as they didnt have that fit the custom ovalization needed. He took photos of the entire process to show me, including a photo of the insulation coming up all the way to the top of the terra cotta, before they cemented over it. It looked a lot better this time - cement job seems good, the oval shape was better looking, and the insulation was the type you guys talked about here. I'm much happier now.

Not doing another fire today though - it's HOT! Also waiting for it to cool down to inspect the work on the chimney but the photos were detailed so I'm not as anxious this time around.

Thanks for the help everyone...
They cemented the top of the liner in?

Yes. Seems uncommon but I've seen it done before and advertised on other installer's websites online.

Here's a couple example photos of what I mean that I found online. Similar to this. I will post a picture when I go up there this week, but it looks like the first 2 specifically. They put cement/concrete/masonry between the terra cotta and liner.

Attachments

• cement 3.PNG
    cement 3.PNG
    183.9 KB · Views: 133
  • cement 2.PNG
    cement 2.PNG
    499.8 KB · Views: 126
  • cement 1.PNG
    cement 1.PNG
    1.8 MB · Views: 124
It could be. If they did they only poured an inch or two thick. Both my ovalized liner and the terra cotta were an unconventional shape/size so the top plates they had did not fit.

Yes. Seems uncommon but I've seen it done before and advertised on other installer's websites online.

Here's a couple example photos of what I mean that I found online. Similar to this. I will post a picture when I go up there this week, but it looks like the first 2 specifically. They put cement/concrete/masonry between the terra cotta and liner.
So what is going to give when that liner heats up and expands? Something is going to have to give. That means either cracked masonry or kinked stainless. I can almost guarantee it will be cracked masonry. There is a reason no liner manufacturers instructions tell you to do it that way.

If it is a custom oval liner it needs a custom oval top plate.

So what is going to give when that liner heats up and expands? Something is going to have to give. That means either cracked masonry or kinked stainless. I can almost guarantee it will be cracked masonry. There is a reason no liner manufacturers instructions tell you to do it that way.

If it is a custom oval liner it needs a custom oval top plate.

I'll keep an eye on it and caulk where necessary. Also, they used the original chimney cap that extends over the terra cotta/masonry.

Last edited:
Finally got on the roof guys. Here are some photos.

Ran a super hot fire for around 8 hours the day before - the masonry "top plate" doesn't look cracked.

I think what helped is that the liner seems to end right below the masonry, and a more round end piece is attached at the end - maybe that doesn't expand and contract as much?

Regardless, I'll inspect it each year and fill any cracks I see over time.

Thanks all for helping me get this figured out.

Attachments

• 20200816_160248.jpg
    20200816_160248.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 142
  • 20200816_155534.jpg
    20200816_155534.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 144
That is a very unconventional install...I sure hope that doesn't come back to bite you later...

Reactions: bholler
They said it was a very unconventional Mason chimney sadly.

My 2 neighbors' homes were built by the same builder in the 70s and apparently another guy was told by an installer they couldn't even get a liner to work properly.

I've burnt a few fires in 80f weather and despite the heat got a nice draft going. I think it'll work out.

They said it was a very unconventional Mason chimney sadly.

My 2 neighbors' homes were built by the same builder in the 70s and apparently another guy was told by an installer they couldn't even get a liner to work properly.

I've burnt a few fires in 80f weather and despite the heat got a nice draft going. I think it'll work out.
The chimney looks pretty conventional to me. They just apparently make up the way they want to do the install instead of following the instructions and ul listings.

This makes me nervous. I’m trying to get a 35’ liner installed but I have no way of checking their work as my chimney is 40’ off the ground. I don’t have a ladder that high. I’ve been getting price quotes for $3500 for the liner install, which I definitely can not afford. Isn’t this about $1000-1500 too high? The liner costs about $1200. (Pre-insulated) Is it normal to be charged $2300 for labor? There is no work that my chimney needs, other than a top place and a bottom/face plate where the damper is. (I’m also hoping they can tack my damper up and not cut it off, incase I remove the wood stove insert and take it with me if I move).

I have had home improvement guys take advantage and scam me before - basically did a horrible job and got away with my money before I realized it. I had to hire other people to redo the work. (I guess they have no conscience when it comes to single moms raising kids on their own - as if we don’t already have it hard enough... I work so hard to pay our bills and then have to try to figure out how to fix things myself and pay for people to fix things when I can’t. Plus, clean and cook, lol. I am still really upset with those bad dudes.).

I have read how to do it and have watched many YouTube installation videos. I could do it, but I think the height is too high for me to risk. If I found a ladder to borrow/rent, I wouldn’t have anyone but my 7yr old to hold the bottom of the ladder for me. If something happens to me, it’s not good for her. :/

Does anyone know of any reputable companies or installers in the SE Michigan area who charge normal labor rates to install and will do a good job?

This is the liner I thought about using from Woodland Direct: EASYFLEX 316TI PRE-INSULATED CHIMNEY LINER KIT
Would this work, or does anyone recommend a different one? Would double walled be better with a pre-insulated liner or is it better to separately insulate the chimney?
Thanks!