how can i tell if my fire place use to be wood burnin? Currently burns gas logs.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hammertime

Apr 30, 2008
california, los angeles
I have been looking everywhere to see if i convert my gas fireplace to wood burning fireplace but, every where i gone online everybody simply says you can not convert. If i can not convert do i have to knock down the whole fireplace up to the roof to be able to have a wood burning fireplace? please give any info that can help.

If you truly have a gas log set and it is vented then you can convert back to wood.
Is your gas log set open where you can stick your hand right in? Gas logs usually are a sand pan burner with cement logs.
Is the firebox all masonry or is it metal and firebrick?
Is the chimney clay tiles and block or its it a metal pipe?

Do you want to burn wood in an open heat waster fireplace or actually get heat out of it?

It's possible that if it was built for wood burning, and then converted to gas, that the wood burning damper mechanism was removed, damaged, or destroyed to provide for venting the gas log. Be sure to check this out.

I bought a condo in San Diego a long time ago. It had a fireplace with a gas log setup in it. Previous occupants apparently never used it, because their cats had turned it into a permanent litter box. I cleaned the whole thing out and removed the gas log set up. I wanted, if possible, to have an occasional wood fire in it, but wasn't so sure it would be safe. I had a sweep come in and do an inspection/cleaning, and he said I was good to go. No substitute for professional hands and eyes on the thing up close and personal. Rick

Unless you are going to install a liner (if that is even possible) yourself you would be well served by having someone who is knowledgable come out and survey your installation. From there you can decide what to do and what materials will be needed.
That knowledge will be well worth the up front cost, save you a lot of time and assure you are on the right (safe) track in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.