How can I troubleshoot a blower - without a remote?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cne24

Oct 25, 2015
Md
Afternoon.

I purchased a home with an existing Heat-N-Glo 6000TRLP. I've never had a gas fireplace before, so it may sound silly for me to admit that I didn't realize that an internal blower pushes the heat around until I read about it in a national magazine. After reading the article and investigating, I don't think my blower is functional.

However, I don't see the typical switches that were shown in the article (temp sensor, speed switch). Instead, I have an adapter that appears to be used with a remote. The model number of the adapter is RCT-MLT-II. I don't have the remote.

The fireplace comes on with the wall switch if I have the adapter switch set to "remote." If I turn the adapter switch to on, the fireplace comes in without activating the wall switch.

I assume the blower is dead, but I'd like to confirm. Do I need the remote to check, or does the fact that the blower never activates despite leaving the fireplace on for extended times indicate that is dead? Again, I don't see any switches for blower speed (how would I change speeds if I don't have a remote) or a temp sensor. The remote appears pricey so I don't want to spend money for something I don't need - yet.

Hope this makes sense, thanks for any input.

Chris

You may have to get a new remote, but should be able to check the blower by looking at the owners manual.
If you don't have it, you should be able to find it at http://www.heatnglo.com/. Read the wiring schematic & see how the blower
is wired into the RCT control. There should be a way to remove it from the control & plugging it into the junction box
underneath the firebox.

Status
Not open for further replies.