Q&A How close can woodstove go to cinderblock wall?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I'm having a woodstove installed into my basement with a Class A stainless steel chimney; using the out and up method of chimney installation.Seeing that the stove is in the basement (which is fully finished), could I remove the carpet where flooring protection is required and lay down tile (following regulation for side and front dimensions)? Similarly, the stove would be back on to the foundation (which has been studded and dry walled)... if I were to remove this section of the finished wall and expose the concrete foundation wall (extending 2' beyond each side of the stove) and then tiled the concrete to dress it up? (more or less, removing any combustibles between the stove and wall/floor and then tiling the concrete)

Answer:

Yes, this is an easy and perfectly acceptable way of dealing with clearances. Concrete on earth is considered non-combustible fo this application, as is masonry and/or earth over 8 inches thick.

Status
Not open for further replies.