How close is too close?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Drabe95

Oct 30, 2017
CNY
i'm looking at installing a freestanding enviro steel meridian in the corner of my living room. The stove manual says 6in on all sides for clearance. Seems a little close. Is my couch at 30in away from the corner too close?

No you should be fine as long as the couch is 30” from the stove

Pellet stoves dont get as hot on the outside like a wood stove

Only the front of any unit gets hot enough to start a fire. The sides and back stay fairly cool. One thing to always keep in mid though is not to place ANY unit too close to existing walls because at some point you'll need to access components under the panels for servicing and cleaning and stuffing any unit in an inaccessible corn and you will be cussing as you fumble around with it trying the get to parts inside.

I recommend at least 12-15" away from any wall for ease of eventual access.

Mine only gets that hot on the front and front corners. I set mine at the minimum 8” clearance for my stove, in a corner, and while I appreciate the valuable space saved, it’s challenging to work behind it.

One thing I would pay attention to is the airflow from the stove. If you maintain a clear path a long ways out, you will get the best heat exchange in the room.

SOP for me is a small 110 volt fan on top of the fuel hopper. That moves the heated air real well.

Just be sure you have enough clearance to be able to get around it for service. Set it in place with the minimum clearance then look at it. If it seems tight to get around it move it out some. It is a real pain to unhook the pipe if you have the room to just move it out for ample room to work on it

My stove has enameled cast-iron panels (for the look) that are offset from contact with the fire chamber. The result is that only the door glass gets hot enough to burn you. So the front clearance is the most important, apart from being able to get into the innards.