How do I replace the fan?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

merlin tc

Hearth Supporter
Dec 17, 2007
Wisconsin
I need a hand here: Got a fireplace (about 15 years old) with a fan under it to blow warm air out a grate above the mantle. Worked fine until yesterday. Tested the circuit, etc., and the motor needs to be replaced. The motor is located under the firebox(?) accessable thru a 8" X 3'X3' deep grate on the floor in front of the fireplace Here's my problem: the motor ( about 6" squirrel cage) is at the back of the fireplace (along with the %^@#$ mice) and it's attached to an angle iron which runs to the front of the openeing. It looks like it was designed to be replaced...God bless that masonry man. Here's my question: are these fans usually removeable? Do they usually have enough slack in the Romex to slide them to the front grille? And is it wise to replace them with a bigger unit? One more question: the fan sits behind a square box ( about 8"x8") and I'm not sure what that is---could it be to capture the heated air for the fan to blow upwards? Thanks for any help here---appreciated!
Merlin :question:

Sounds a bit strange - like you have a masonry fireplace with a heatform?
Or a prefab fireplace?

I would guess the first - a Heatilator type thingy:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Heatform/

Certainly it should be replaceable, but if it is a heatform, a lot of work is done in the field and exactly what and how they did it can be different (as you are finding out!).

So, nothing much we can say except turn the circuit off and somehow rip it apart. Only then will you see what is going on, but since it is a goner anyway, you have nothing to lose.

maybe the mice chewed through the wiring?

Webmaster and Jake, thanks. This is the first fireplace I've ever had, so I am starting out blank. This forum and your comments---appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.