How do I split these odd rounds?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CTwith3

Jul 9, 2014
Westchester County, NY
My neighbor had a huge tree taken down and did me a “favor“ by having these wood rounds dumped in my backyard When I wasn’t home . The majority of the tree was great- 18 -20” long rounds, – but I am not sure how to handle these for stacking.

Attachments

• 8B2EB3E7-A438-4033-9C83-3C806D5005D1.jpeg
    8B2EB3E7-A438-4033-9C83-3C806D5005D1.jpeg
    333.8 KB · Views: 491
Split into thicker than normal splits, keep separate from your normal stacks, and use for shoulder season.

Reactions: lindnova and Sawset
Split into thicker than normal splits, keep separate from your normal stacks, and use for shoulder season.
Thicker? They already have a thickness, so I don’t quite get that. And what is shoulder season?

Noodle if needed then split as usual.

Noodle as in cut into smaller sections with my chainsaw? I have a 28 ton Countyline splitter that will split vertically, so no need for noodling.

When I have rounds like this, I split them as normal and then place two of them in the stack where a normal split would go. They are usually about half the length of a regular split.
Do you put them on a regular type rack or Pallets? On a regular rack they would fall through or cause the stack to be unstable Do they take longer to dry?

Just split the pie shapped pieces into quarters or smaller and stack them up- heck they are just short splits- dry the same as the rest, actually a bit faster

Cut on the dotted line with the chain saw (noodling), or use the splitter if that works out. It can usually go pretty quick. If the results are in odd sizes, stack off to the side and use them up in the fall and spring season (shoulder season) when temps are a little more mild and forgiving.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    664.5 KB · Views: 245
I mix them in with my regular length splits. I don't keep them separate. I've never had an issue with instability. I stack all my wood on pallets.

Split them as normal and use them for filling stove when that normal piece wont fit or for shoulder season etc. I have 4 cord or so stacked on pallets. I cut 20-18 inch wood give or take so that leaves a lil room in between the two rows on pallets.....that's where I chuck them and the other bastard sticks.

Split up as regular . . . toss on top of your regular stack . . . use during shoulder season.

Shoulder season = start and end of the burning season when you may only need a small fire to just keep the chill off. As an example I've been burning some of my chunks (short pieces), punks (dry, punky wood) and uglies (that wood with crotches, odd shapes, misshapen splits, etc.) as I do not need maximum BTUs in the firebox. Come January I want the nice, higher BTU wood and I want to fit it into the firebox a little more tightly.

I made a box out of pallets and scrap wood and toss them in there, I have one boxfull that's seasoned 5 years. I'll be using it during shoulder season.

Last edited:
Yep, I mix some of them in my regular stack, but also keep some separate, I call them "Shorties" and throw a couple in the stove to give it a boost, but only a couple, they usually burn nice and hot.

It would be a favor to me if someone would dump that in my yard. Oak chunks 18 inches long.
That is perfect firewood for my Oslo.

I don't see what the confusion is, handle it like any other firewood. I could split that with my Monster Maul, or if not, I know I could bust up the big pieces with my 10 pound hammer and either the Ochsekopf aluminum splitting wedge, or else my Wood Grenade. But 'em in to 4 pieces with the big hammer and then split them down to size with the Fiskars or the Monster Maul.

I'd split them with metal splitting wedges and a maul.
Rounds look a bit short so either stack on top of a stack or double up shorties mixed in with your usual length splits.
You could also cut those rounds in half yielding pizza rounds, stack them on top of the stacks and then bust them with a maul in the Winter after they've seasoned in chunks small enough to fit in the stove.
I'm not a fan of making lots of sawdust and throwing good wood away so I like to use wedges.
A bit of a puzzle loading the stove but good for testing and improving your spacial relationship capabilities. Can come in handy loading a moving van.

He said they are 18 to 20 inches. That isn't short, to me, it is perfect for the Oslo.
I would have a good time with those big sticks, and my Wood Grenade and the ten-pound hammer.

Just split like normal and mix them in your stacks, but put 2 of those short splits together where one normal length split would go.
If you do a whole stack with only short pieces it'll be unstable. But mixing them into regular stacks works fine and they dry fast.

I do what others have posted after splitting:

If small enough … two get stacked together.

If they are large enough … they just get stacked normally.

If they are really weird … they go on top of the log pile. :)

I actually like them since I can use them as wood for my offset horizontal smoker, and I don't have to cut regular firewood logs after splitting smaller.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000

He said they are 18 to 20 inches. That isn't short, to me, it is perfect for the Oslo.
I would have a good time with those big sticks, and my Wood Grenade and the ten-pound hammer.”

The rounds in the pictures I am asking about are 5-10”

The drums are 18 to 20 inch diameter. They are 5 to 10 inches thick.
In your original post you didn't make that clear. There is nothing in the photo to put it to scale.
I thought you meant, the pieces were 18 to 20 inches thick, and about 40 inches in diameter, which would be perfect firewood.

Now I understand your problem. Yes that would be really weird to have a bunch of 5 and 7 inch pieces I wouldn't want to mess with it.

I do what others have posted after splitting:

If small enough … two get stacked together.

If they are large enough … they just get stacked normally.

If they are really weird … they go on top of the log pile. :)

I actually like them since I can use them as wood for my offset horizontal smoker, and I don't have to cut regular firewood logs after splitting smaller.

Good call. I usually aim for 10-12 inches for my COS (cheap offset smoker). Right now mostly have red oak and cherry.

You’re right, I should have been made the relationship of the odd rounds in the title of the topic clear in the post. I guess you had to be in my head to understand that. Sorry about the confusion.

Now I see why you put the word "favor" in quotation marks.

Honestly I wouldn't want that wood, too much of it and too short.

I'd be happy if I had it, break into smaller pieces, throw it in a homemade bin and let it season, good shoulder season wood.