How do I stop the draft when I'm not burning in my wood insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chaka

Jan 9, 2023
St. Louis, Missouri
I have a Clydesdale TruHybrid 8492 wood insert. I get a cold draft from the bottom of the insert when it is not in use. I can also feel a cold draft from the flue if I open the door to the insert. Per the owner's manual, the primary air control does not actually close all the way. Surely other wood insert owners have a similar problem? For the Clydesdale, the front baffle support is easy to remove, exposing the bypass door through which I can see the inside of the flue collar. I'm thinking of shoving one of these fabric discs in there.

I've read some forum members have a stovepipe damper, which would theoretically solve my problem. But between the clearances of a wood burning insert and the facade, I can't imaging how to engineer a linkage to actually control a damper...

I have a Clydesdale TruHybrid 8492 wood insert. I get a cold draft from the bottom of the insert when it is not in use. I can also feel a cold draft from the flue if I open the door to the insert. Per the owner's manual, the primary air control does not actually close all the way. Surely other wood insert owners have a similar problem? For the Clydesdale, the front baffle support is easy to remove, exposing the bypass door through which I can see the inside of the flue collar. I'm thinking of shoving one of these fabric discs in there.

I've read some forum members have a stovepipe damper, which would theoretically solve my problem. But between the clearances of a wood burning insert and the facade, I can't imaging how to engineer a linkage to actually control a damper...
Do you have an insulated blockoff plate and insulated liner? Those won't solve the issue completely but will help allot