How Do You Clean Your Pellet Stove Glass When It's Hot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I have the best solution, crumple up some newspaper or other catalogue pages you may have laying around the house. Open the door of your stove, slowly, rub the glass. Presto, clean as a whistle. I was skeptical at first but it really works great. I do it a couple of times a day, want to see the fire.

I use a poly parts cleaning brush from any auto parts store. With the door open, the glass cools quickly enough so as not to melt the bristles.

My glass soots up after 24 hours. I only clean mine once a week when I vac out the ash. I shut down on Sat morning early and usually can relight by 8:00am. Just keep pouring the pellets in all week as long as hot air is coming out the top I really don't need to see the fire to know its there.

my 2 cents:bottle of stove glass cleaner not that expensive and last a couple seasons i use that and a parts washer brush or razor blade on tuff black spots works for me. but i wount do it while hot.

Baston8005 said:
With a Quadrafire mt Vernon stove, shut down is about 10 minutes. Open the glass, scrape the pot, open ash slider to let ash out of burn pot. Vac out fly ash in burn chamber and windex the glass...Total time....5 minutes at most. Start up stove again and burn baby, burn.

I just had a Mt. Vernon installed last week and the install guy said not to use windex. That it will eventually never come clean.

If there is a good amount of soot on the glass- then the air ratio is not right. How I know this -- and being a new owner-is because when I get it right- I have no soot- when I don't- I get soot. If your only cleaning once a week- first of all your not getting the max amount of heat from your unit-I dont care what the dealer says- then you've got a build-up of ash behind the piece of metal {little shelf}in the front-where the rod is- if its built like mine.I think these dealers are playing it just a little too cool when trying to sell their product-leading people to believe that these are no to little maintenence,and thats what people want to hear. As far as I can tell-every stove is tempermental- and you have to bond with it, and get to know its quirks. My stove wouldnt put out for me if I only cleaned it once a week- and I dont blame it...
Many-many people dont even read their manuals-let alone comprehend them. And thats my .02. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.