How do you get to your firewood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
sometimes the only decent deals are if you buy it all at once, thats what i did. other people seems to separate it and mark it way up

i like blue ones. they are the same quality as the green and red. but on used ones you can find way better deals. i never liked the orange they are made cheaper and around here they go for the same as a new deere or case. used they are the same as a deere too. the blue ones are way better to use and maintain.

they got even better deals on the ls tractors, this is the same tractor as my nh, they are made by the same company. basically new 2030, hydro, woods blower, loader for 15. that would be 25 in any of the other colors around here
https://rochester.craigslist.org/grd/d/ls-j2030h-tractor-loader-cab/6390377841.html

Last edited:
sometimes the only decent deals are if you buy it all at once, thats what i did. other people seems to separate it and mark it way up

i like blue ones. they are the same quality as the green and red. but on used ones you can find way better deals. i never liked the orange they are made cheaper and around here they go for the same as a new deere or case. used they are the same as a deere too. the blue ones are way better to use and maintain.

they got even better deals on the ls tractors, this is the same tractor as my nh, they are made by the same company. basically new 2030, hydro, woods blower, loader for 15. that would be 25 in any of the other colors around here
https://rochester.craigslist.org/grd/d/ls-j2030h-tractor-loader-cab/6390377841.html
My Dad has (mostly) blue tractors. Most of them are vintage (i.e. pre-1990) however he buys a new 75hp loader tractor every 4-5 years.

I was close to a deal for a 25hp orange tractor from a guy I know with a belly mower, backhoe, box blade and snow blower, 2 x sets of tires and low hours. He's the type of guy that takes his stuff to the dealer to be greased and trades everything in every few years. He thought a number I offered was fair, but then found out how much he would save on tax for a trade in, which made the dealers offer better. Oh well...

I'm a big fan of orange tractors. Most of that is derived from my younger days working with them in the construction/landscape industry and from my experience with my 30 y/o machine. I also have a good relationship (as in they are friends outside of business) with a local dealer. They've somehow managed to carve a bias in my brain for them, and I think it was earned. There's a reason why you see so many of their machines on jobsites nowadays. I've been comfortable enough to buy a couple of Korean cars over the years, and would be the same for tractors, but I feel the Japanese still hold an edge over them. I'm all about value, and truthfully I don't see huge margins in price between any of the colours of tractors when compared apple to apples. Masseys, Mahindras, and the odd Kioti seem to be a little less pricey used, but not much. Definitely cheaper new. A guy down the road has a small dealership that sells Landinini, Montana and LS tractors. He doesn't usually have any of those used on hand though. and I don't see much else than orange and green for sale used (privately), so there doesn't seem to be a lot to compare to. I want to avoid a dealer, simply because that invokes an automatic 15% increase in price because of sales tax.

That LS in your link seems like a decent deal. I used to shop for tractors in upstate NY, but the currency exchange makes that prohibitive these days.

Mind you, if I lean more towards a CUT vice an industrial/commercial small TLB, I'm open to whatever is a good deal. May make an offer on my wife's uncle's 25hp JD. It impressed the hell out of me the day it ran a 6" chipper without making a squeak. He needs something bigger to pull a big (as in 12') mower for his new property.

I'm torn... I don't exactly need a hoe, but I know once I get one, it will be priceless. I would hate to regret not getting one and I figure I might as well bite the bullet go for it. It makes a big difference financially though and if I'm going for a TLB, I figure an industrial model is the best bet, and they are hard to find not abused, come with a price tag, and aren't quite as versatile as CUTs (i.e. no mid PTO or quick attach loader, etc). It's a slippery slope and represents a good sized investment for me when really... it amounts to a toy. Most of what I will be using it for won't add *much* value to the property and is essentially non-essential.

Just checked the website of the guy down the road... he has a 28hp Landini (from what I can tell built by LS) with under 300hrs for $14k. Hmmm....

I worry about some of these companies in North America, but I have a little more faith in anything that is LS based, considering all of the small CNH stuff is.

you never know till you talk to them, if they will take a bunch less. i didnt want the loader and backhoe because its a ton more weight normally have to oad the tires too, just going to tear up my trails and my yard when im mowing and doing wood and run into trees. , can do quite a bit more with the three point than i had imagined. only using a normal deere backhoe before at work. you can lift stuff, mine is like 1500, i got a box blade you can level trails pick up rocks, wood etc. the blade was like 4-500 at runnings. the front loader was 4 and anther 4-5k for a backhoe even when buying everything

my tractor was sitting there a while because it didnt have those. the nh dealer had a used woods finish mower new woods brush mower and that and he took a ton off when you offer cash. that dealer advertises alot more cost than he takes really, he called it hobby farmers i guess real ones they charge more or something, they have the best parts network, we had some at work too i never had a problem getting stuff. i would think the ls tractors would be able to buy that stuff there too.

i looked at a ton of machines over the years were i worked they would ask me before they would see what they could get. new, massey was the best design and use but they are msrp(the one dealer any where near us) so you dont see them used either, second would be nh and deere for cut sized stuff, the orange one looked lighter built, sounded loud, controls felt like they were all wrong, rad was out were you have to clean it all all the time, etc. alot of the others have the rad tucked in better, the massey was behind the engine and you picked up a screen and wiped it off. but he never wanted to deal neither did nh so deere got the business there, that was used by a bunch of people that i wouldnt let drive car and they only time it broke was the time they kept jamming the shifter in gear with out feathering the petal if it wouldnt go. that was a big bill for stupid and he wasent allowed on it anymore. the controls on the deeres and nh just fall into hand better than the others.

the dealers are what you see, within 1hr we have three ls dealers, three deere 1 kubota, 1 case, 2 nh. the ones that have close compition may possibly deal on some stuff.
i know quite a few with the orange ones, people that just use them for toys really, they heave a bunch of crap wrong but the dealer here gives good service and cheap or free financing thats what some people care about. we dont have any other ones around

Last edited: