how do you install hard wood flooring on concrete?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just put down a plastic vapor barrier and installed the pergo laminate flooring over that with the extra thick padding attached. There is no need to attach the flooring to the cement as the laminates are designed to be full floating for expansion. Just be sure if it is to be installed in a basement that it does not get wet.

ok,
But i'm talking about slat wood tounge and groove flooring. and it's just in our half sunk family room on our tri level. never had any water probs.

Vapor barrier first, and power conctrete nails to tack it down. At least thats how we did it at my fathers house about 15 years ago. Or i guess you could sheath it first with floor sheathing and nail it down to that, but that would raise your floor 3/4".

You definitely want to put a subfloor down and nail the wood planks to that. I have seen a subfloor system at the Big-Box stores, that is something like 2' rubber squares that cover the area to be floored, I think the plywood subloor sits on that and the flooring is attached to the subfloor. Good luck.

i was at the flooring store last week looking at hardwood flooring. I have a concrete floor. They glue it down, starting in the center and working towards the walls. Laminate is different.

Jared said:
ok,
But i'm talking about slat wood tounge and groove flooring. and it's just in our half sunk family room on our tri level. never had any water probs.

If you mean it's partially below grade, the problem is that the concrete remains damp, and "real" wood can't be used. I'm emailing you the info I've gathered from the internet, (if it's possible to do attachments) which includes instructions on how to test for too much moisture. I plan on installing hardwood over slab in my living room--maybe I'll get to it this spring? Summer? Um...?

Due to concrete which eminates moisture.....I wouldnt do it....but the normal is to install 3/4" T&G
sub flooring and then carpenters paper over that.then the T&G hardwood.....I would go with a floating floor...ie; pergo or an off brand

pergo or something or brand similar might not be a bad idea. if it is not attached to the flooring u put down a piece of foam for the floor to move on. and that will also keep the floor a little warmer.

I'd suggest that this be posted here:

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=UBB3

The Woodnet forums are first rate and the home improvement forum has a lot of very sharp folks that could help answer this question. (not that these folks are any slouches...but most of them are really just thinking of ways they could burn all that oak, not walk on it. ;-) )

I know that Pergo brand suggests plastic over the concrete floor as a vapor barrier prior to installation of their product, But it is possible for moisture to get trapped under the plastic and turn to mildew or mold......since it has no way to disapate

The concrete must breath that is why you cant even use Dryloc on floors...but I have heard that there is new stuff out for that.

Do you have the headroom to install a sleeper subfloor?
If so then a t&g hardwood can be done no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.