How do you reset the side panel to the left of the Defiant side door?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tweezerman

Feb 12, 2018
Rhinebeck, NY
IMG_0343.JPG
I was cleaning creosote accumulation and the side panel to the left of the side door of my 1975 Defiant Stove pushed in and I removed it to find myself behind the fire wall. I thought that was great because a pile of creosote had accumulated back there so I shop vacuumed it out. Then I went to put back the side plate and my troubles started. I don't want to remove the chimney - since it was a pain to install it. For the life of me I could not get it to fall in place. See picture of the part. I could not find any diagram anywhere showing me how this pieces assembles into the stove.

Last edited by a moderator:
good question. i had to clean up the area with a wire brush or a small wire wheel on a cordless drill then a big bead of furnace cement on both sides. but i would like to hear how defiant3 does it.

Um, yeah so what this means is that the fireback has begun to warp just a bit, enough that it doesn't hold the plate in there anymore ( the plate shouldn't actually be removable). So the real fix is a rebuild. Short of that, you'll just have to get creative. Frank is a better source than I am, I just tell people get a IAI fireback kit with the new style left end/door! I find there isn't much you can't fix though with enough Ibuprofen and furnace cement!

sometimes lots of Ibuprofen;lol
defiant3 is spot on mine first moved when my fireback just started to warp. i did the clean and cement thing and that held for 3 years til the fracture really took off