How do you reset the side panel to the left of the Defiant side door?

Tweezerman Posted By Tweezerman, Feb 12, 2018 at 9:49 PM

1. Tweezerman

Tweezerman
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 12, 2018
    Loc:
    Rhinebeck, NY
    IMG_0343.JPG
    I was cleaning creosote accumulation and the side panel to the left of the side door of my 1975 Defiant Stove pushed in and I removed it to find myself behind the fire wall. I thought that was great because a pile of creosote had accumulated back there so I shop vacuumed it out. Then I went to put back the side plate and my troubles started. I don't want to remove the chimney - since it was a pain to install it. For the life of me I could not get it to fall in place. See picture of the part. I could not find any diagram anywhere showing me how this pieces assembles into the stove.

2. fbelec

fbelec
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 23, 2005
    Loc:
    northern massachusetts
    good question. i had to clean up the area with a wire brush or a small wire wheel on a cordless drill then a big bead of furnace cement on both sides. but i would like to hear how defiant3 does it.

3. defiant3

defiant3
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 23, 2010
    Loc:
    No. NH
    Um, yeah so what this means is that the fireback has begun to warp just a bit, enough that it doesn't hold the plate in there anymore ( the plate shouldn't actually be removable). So the real fix is a rebuild. Short of that, you'll just have to get creative. Frank is a better source than I am, I just tell people get a IAI fireback kit with the new style left end/door! I find there isn't much you can't fix though with enough Ibuprofen and furnace cement!

4. fbelec

fbelec
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 23, 2005
    Loc:
    northern massachusetts
    sometimes lots of Ibuprofen;lol
    defiant3 is spot on mine first moved when my fireback just started to warp. i did the clean and cement thing and that held for 3 years til the fracture really took off