How do you use a kettle on a wood burning stove insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Krystal

Nov 9, 2013
This is probably a silly question, but how do you keep moisture in the air with a wood burning stove insert? No place to put a kettle.

Thanks!

This is probably a silly question, but how do you keep moisture in the air with a wood burning stove insert? No place to put a kettle.

Thanks!
Not silly at all. The problem is that a kettle is inadequate to add any meaningful humidity to the air on any stove. If you really need to do that, you should look into a regular room humidifier anyway.

Reactions: Dix
If your insert extends into the room, you should have a ledge. I put a trivet on mine, and a small cast iron/enamel steamer.

The trivet scratched to top of the ledge, now I gotta deal with that, and I never had enough humidity out of the stupid little thing any way.

Kept the trivet, threw out the steamer, watering my house plants more, and shopping for a humidifier for the whole house. In the interim, a vaporizer helps in the stove room. Which reminds me, I have to go dig that puppy out of the closet :p

Reactions: Sprinter
My 55 gallon fish tank helps, but if you need more humidity then get it another way, as the kettle is for looks not real worth.

Reactions: Dix
I do have a teakettle on my stove and it's nice for looks and even for tea (!). I don't know what you'd do on an insert, though. Sorry.

They make a 1/2 kettle for inserts. from the front it looks like a full size kettle, from the rear or side it is flat, hence 1/2 a kettle.
Of course your insert has no ledge on it, so looks like a no go for your insert to rest anything on.
As others said, you will need much more than that to humidify the house.

Reactions: joneo
Hi Krystal..I do have a slight ledge on my insert and currently have a 2 1/2 qt half steamer on there. The half steamers are made for the inserts so as long as you aren't flush you should be able to fit one on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.