How Far Above The Roof - Chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
Looking at the instructions for my Supervent chimney install and I need to be 3 ft min above the roof and 2 ft above the roof (or highest object) within 10 ft.

In my case, the 10 ft / 2 ft requirement will be confined to the roof and no other object and with my 6/12 pitch roof and if my numbers are correct I am looking at a minimum chimney height of 7 ft - Yikes!!!!!!

I'll have to get a ladder just to reach into the top of the chimney to clean it ;) I think I'd better order a roof guy kit.

FYI, my stove location is near an exterior wall and puts the chimney near the gutter end of my roof.

Do my number sound correct?

How far above your roof does your Supervent (or other brand) chimney go and how do you get to the cap to clean it when it's as tall - as I think mine is going to be?

Thanks,
Bill

Sounds about right... 6/12 pitch means 10ft over is 5ft up... and you need 2ft ontop of that... so 7' extending out of the roof. And max 5' before you need a roof guy kit... so you'll need that too.

Are you coming up through the outside of the house, or going through the attic? If you're outside the house, then you'll have an external elbow/Tee with a cleanout cap. Can you clean from the bottom instead of the top?

Here are three photos I posted in another thread, to show what was required for minimum clearance on my 12/12 pitch roof. Also, to explain why I paid professionals to do it!

Obviously, the chimney needs to be guyed (you can see the supports if you click on the photo). The roof peak is 18' above the cabin floor and the flue exit from the back of the stove is about 2' off the floor, so the overall flue/chimney length was about 18', to get it 2' above the peak (which was within 10' horizontally). I have no idea how I'll clean it, other than from inside the cabin with one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Gardus-RCH-205-Chimney-Cleaning-System/dp/B0010H5JXA

Attachments

• DSCF3574 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF3574 (800x600).jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 989
  • DSCF3577 (600x800).jpg
    DSCF3577 (600x800).jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,233
  • DSCF3578 - Copy (800x600).jpg
    DSCF3578 - Copy (800x600).jpg
    152 KB · Views: 1,031
Here's a better photo of the chimney supports.

Attachments

• DSCF3581 (600x800).jpg
    DSCF3581 (600x800).jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 3,632
northernontario said:
Are you coming up through the outside of the house, or going through the attic?

I'm coming up through the attic.

Thanks,
Bill

That's about the way our flue worked out leeave. Maybe you can pull off the top length to get easier access for cleaning? Be sure to order a brace too. It will need one at 5ft.

BeGreen said:
That's about the way our flue worked out leeave. Maybe you can pull off the top length to get easier access for cleaning? Be sure to order a brace too. It will need one at 5ft.

How do you clean your chimney with that kind of height?

Thanks!
Bill

Bottom Up!!! I too can't reach the top of my flue!!

leeave96 said:
BeGreen said:

Thanks!
Bill

So far our flue is staying pretty clean. Given the light buildup and the fact that my weekend time is precious, I paid someone to do it this year. My wife is none too comfortable with me getting up on the roof these days, though I love the view.

Quick question....does a tree count in the 2ft above any point within 10ft rule?

Status
Not open for further replies.