How far appart to support 2x4 underwood pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinM

Jan 15, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
How far apart do people put supports under the wood piles. I bought six deck blocks and put two at each end of two eight foot 2x4s. The pile is a bit unstable would adding two in the middle help? My other idea would be to sister some 2x4 between the blocks.

Any recomendations?

Kevin.

Firewood is heavy, I would nail the 2x4's together to make them 4x4's and also put support in the middle.

KevinM said:
I bought six deck blocks and put two at each end of two eight foot 2x4s...
Instead of putting the blocks at the ends, move them in a bit closer and cantilever the 2x4's.

pendulum said:

I use pallets by the side of the house but have had to expand my storage capacity since a neighbour had a 40+ year old spruce cut down. I am squeezing in a single row against the five foot chain link fence in the backyard. Pile is a bit over 4 feet high but stability is getting questionable.

Kevin.

I have a couple of rows of wood on 16 ft 2x4's nailed with pieces at each end as well as 2 more braces equal distant apart. I nailed the 16 footers about 14 inches wide. End result is I have braces at 6' & 12'. Piles still very sturdy after a couple of months.

Note... the same trial with 10' 2x6's fell down every time.

I'm going to stick with 2x4's from here on out.

LLigetfa said:
Instead of putting the blocks at the ends, move them in a bit closer and cantilever the 2x4's.

Original plan was to build 16 foot stack with blocks at each end and middle.

If I buy two more blocks I could try the next section cantilevered and move the exiting wood to it. How far in should the blocks go?

Kevin.

1.5 or 2 feet.

I use 7 blocks over 24', I have 5 cords stacked this way and they're fine so far. I figure if it was ok when the wood was green and heavy it'll be fine as the wood seasons.

Attachments

• P5050010.JPG
    P5050010.JPG
    181.8 KB · Views: 547
Put those puppies on edge! They can hold ALOT more weight between supports. My racks are each a facecord and the 2x4 rails are on edge. In the middle another 2x4 piece spans between them with a 4x4 support under that; as well as the normal supports at each end. Built it like floor joist and you'll maximize the weight capacity of those. That's my 2 cents :lol:

Don't worry at all. Those 2 x 4's will stop bending once they hit the ground.

I use 8' landscape timbers, they are a little bit more money but I only support them at the ends with cinder blocks and my rows are 16ft long so I only need three supports. to me the less supports the less digging in the ground. I also have a slight slope in the ground so I use bricks to step the timbers to keep them level.

Backwoods Savage said:
Don't worry at all. Those 2 x 4's will stop bending once they hit the ground.

Ha Ha %-P

heatit said:
Put those puppies on edge! They can hold ALOT more weight between supports. My racks are each a facecord and the 2x4 rails are on edge. In the middle another 2x4 piece spans between them with a 4x4 support under that; as well as the normal supports at each end. Built it like floor joist and you'll maximize the weight capacity of those. That's my 2 cents :lol:

I attached a picture of the deck block I used. It puts the 2x4 on edge, I also found some free deck plans which spaced them out a maximum of 30".

I might end up going with regular cinder blocks if I need too many of them to keep the cost down, after all I am stacking free firewood :)

Kevin.

Attachments

• dek_block.png
    dek_block.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 441
For what it's worth, here's a pic of a section of my racks. Each section is just over one face cord and what's nice is I can easily add on from each upright. I go into the local Home Depot and browse through the cull lumber pile pulling out pt 2x stock and make my own 2x4 when they don't have any. When there's none on the reduced pile, I simply pick through the supply and pull out the crappy ones and ask if they would reduce em. 99% of the time they say yes...reduced price is 85% off retail! :bug: That's my kinda lumber for stacking free wood! Put up another 8' section tonight; another two more coming this weekend. Total storage in yard is now 4 cords and the neighbors think it's very nice and organized! So, going back to the original question of the thread, my racks are supported every 4'. No sagging at all and it can more than hold the weight of anything thus far; red oak, maple, cottonwood, cherry & ash, both green and seasoned.

Attachments

• wood racks.jpg
    wood racks.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 356
Picked up more deck blocks today and built a frame for the bottom. Moved the blocks 20' in from the end which looks reasonable. I also added three cross pieces thinking in might increase stability. The inside of the 2x4 are almost 10' apart.

Trying to decide if I want to add uprights at the ends or cross stack like the existing pile. If I don't add them I could use the frames inside to stack some wood in the basement and be able to rotate the stock easily.

I also took pictures of the unstable pile on the hastily thrown together base. Second picture is of the frame on the blocks before I leveled them out. It feels fairly stable when you jump in the middle of the span but I'm allot lighter than all that wood.

Tomorrow should be nice so I can either move the wood or split more to test out the new design.

Kevin.

Attachments

• FirstRack.jpg
    FirstRack.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 344
  • NewFrame.jpg
    NewFrame.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 303
Status
Not open for further replies.