How good are Minute Man pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gutlo

Burning Hunk
Feb 22, 2009
eastern connecticut
Home Depot has Minute Man this year (Dutchess County NY) as well as Green Supreme. They are a lot more expensive than Supremes. Anybody have experience with them?

What is your Stove? My Harmon XXV don't care what name is on the Bag. Even burns the decomposed ones after it drys just fine. No difference in ash or heat. How your stove burns them is up to your stove.

Reactions: Washed-Up
Good Stove Then. Good Air Supply is key I found out. In with the good air, out with the bad. Only time mine burned dirty (black) was when chimmney was blocked. I keep metal fabic in chimney part going thru wall to stop birds. Left it in. Worked until it got clogged. Removed that and I was golden. Also holding open OAK flapper worked too (magnet). But real problem was stove could not breath. Been good stove. On 3rd Season. Pellets delivery other day. Test burn last week was flawless.

Good Stove Then. Good Air Supply is key I found out. In with the good air, out with the bad. Only time mine burned dirty (black) was when chimmney was blocked. I keep metal fabic in chimney part going thru wall to stop birds. Left it in. Worked until it got clogged. Removed that and I was golden. Also holding open OAK flapper worked too (magnet). But real problem was stove could not breath. Been good stove. On 3rd Season. Pellets delivery other day. Test burn last week was flawless.

Dataman,

I have an OAK too. Do you think I should hold the cold air flap open with a magnet for better burning? The exhaust is straight out.

Is this clean burning issue related to the only problem I have with this stove since 2016: it wont self light. The igniter gets hot, but it won't light. Doesn't matter what brand of pellet I use.

It burns goood except for one issue; after I clean the glass, it gets dirty after half a bag is burned. Doesn't matter which brand of pellet. Could the magnet trick help?

Probably not. The all get dirty, some faster, some slower. I use a natural bristle paint brush on mine followed by a dry paper towel. The touted 'air wash' thing is a joke.

I burn everything and anything too. Because I mix corn with my pellets (I'm a farmer so corn to me is a natural occurrence) the corn adds a lot of BTU's to the pellets.

Getting to be that time of year again. Just went and bought 2 pallets of pellets and filled a grain tank with dried. screened field corn. My propane tanks are both full so I'm good to go with old man winter now.

Last edited:
My Pellet stove's glass does the same thing. Dirty glass after 1/2 bag. I do the scrap and swipe with newspaper or paper towel and it's good to go. Little soot on glass is no biggie for me. When I do 1 Ton Cleaning I clean it with Water and Papertowel. (don't do this for daily cleaning, glass will crack).

Get yourself a natural bristle paintbrush and use that. I don't matter if the glass is hot (I open the door when it's running and use the brush and a dry paper towel to clean it. Make sure it's not a PLASTIC bristle brush, that will melt. The NATURAL bristle brush won't. Between the brush and the DRY paper towel, it will be clean again. No need to shut down the stove.