How Hot Can I Push My Osburn 1600 Insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Caw

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts
Hi All -

I have an 2019 model Osburn 1600 insert and I'm wondering what kind of temperatures it might be able to handle before I should start to get concerned. This is my first year with it and I'd like to make sure I'm not making any mistakes. The manual is very vague about over-firing (see pic). Here's my setup:

Stove: 2019 Osburn 1600 Insert. Non-cat, solid steel box.
Chimney: Approx 24' fully external masonry chimney with 6" liner and cap
House: 1600 sq ft two story cape. Very well insulated.

My chimney drafts extremely well, if not too well. Even in shoulder season with outside temps 35-50 degrees I have no problem getting her up to 600-700 degrees (magnetic stove top) quickly using just poplar, butternut, and soft maple splits and uglies with the air fully shut down (well, pushed all the way in...can't fully close EPA stoves of course). In fact, even with the air fully shut down I often have a raging inferno to go along with my secondaries. Getting a lazy flame is just not possible with a decent sized load.

My question is when should I start to worry? I have a few cords of 15-20% (fresh split, room temp read) hard maple, red oak, cherry, and ash ready for the real cold weather and my concern is with the colder temps and better wood I could easily get into a run away situation given the strength of my draft. I've gotten her to 725-750 (magnetic stove top) a few times and haven't noticed any issues or anything glowing but I am usually happier/less stressed to cruise at 600-650 ish. I also figure a fully steel box can handle more than the old soap or cast iron smoke dragons. My guess is about 800 ish is probably starting to push it which is coincidentally how high my cheapo thermometer goes.

My insert also protrudes a fair amount (see pic) so while the magnetic thermometer isn't great it's not in a totally terrible position to at least be helpful. Given that it's an insert I don't have many options for gauging temperatures. I'm open to ideas and recommendations on this topic too.

I absolutely love this little stove. It heats our whole house with ease. I figure I better do my homework before my one of my kids comes to me saying "Dad, the stove is orange". ;)

Thanks in advance for your help!

20201123_134541.jpgStove Specs.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that brushed nickle on the door discoloured?

@Marty I see you run a similar stove. What temps do you see?

I dont think I'm over firing at 800 on a steel box but I'd definitely feel better with confirmation.
LOL, I wondered where those little rusty spots on the lip under the door came from on my stove, you may have found the answer!

Oh yeah, dog drool is brutal on the paint. Im likely gonna try to sand and repaint the spots in the off season. We are in full burn mode now and im sure he'll get it again lol. I think its just something we have to accept as dog people ==c. They are worth it!

Reactions: Sailrmike

I dont think I'm over firing at 800 on a steel box but I'd definitely feel better with confirmation.

Oh yeah, dog drool is brutal on the paint. Im likely gonna try to sand and repaint the spots in the off season. We are in full burn mode now and im sure he'll get it again lol. I think its just something we have to accept as dog people ==c. They are worth it!
I was having some issues with my air control not closing all the way.i usually run mine around 350 as I sit close to the stove.wiener dog luvs it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200729-174922_One UI Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20200729-174922_One UI Home.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 150
Reactions: Sailrmike

My stove was painted at the factory with Stove Brite black, so I got a can of the same stuff. Rusty spots take about a minute to banish with a wire brush and a shot of paint. I had a big rusty ring from a tea spill (was heating a stainless mug of water for tea and forgot about it)- and it looked absolutely brand new after a wire brushing and a shot of spraypaint.

Downside is that you need to do it with open windows in warm weather because it sure stinks when you fire the stove!

That seems high, especially if you are running the fan. There are times I get up to 700-725 STT, but I try to hold it about 650 or so when warming the house up. To maintain house temp, I can cruise the stove at about 400 STT and still burn clean. What is the STT when you close the air all the way down?

With a full load of poplar and soft maple splits/rounds itll hit 700-725 with the air fully shut down and blower on high on a reload. A cold start more like 600. And this is when its only like 35 degrees out nevermind a cold/windy day.

My chimney is a vacuum. My hope is that when I start using my hardwoods that max temp will come down a bit but thats why I'm asking. I don't want to load it up with hard maple/oak and have a run away on my hands.

There's always the option of putting less fuel in, which I will do if I have to, but its more work and stinks for overnight. I dont want to run it so hot, I'd be happy to hang at 600, but it just wants to go go go. Im going to experiment with half hardwood loads soon when the weather turns cold and see what happens. I want to know what temp I should really start to worry.

Last edited:
Just as a conclusion to this thread I decided to test the seals on the stove using a lighter and I found a leak in the glass seal. Part of it wasn't fully folded over the glass so the stove was able to suck extra air through the door seal. I took the door apart, resealed the glass, and now its working properly. I'm seeing 450 STT temps with a medium load instead of 600. Much better.

Last night when all I had in there was 4 decent sized splits of maple and it hit 600 with the air fully shut down was the last straw...I knew something was wrong.

Glad she's back to normal!

Hi All -

I have an 2019 model Osburn 1600 insert and I'm wondering what kind of temperatures it might be able to handle before I should start to get concerned. This is my first year with it and I'd like to make sure I'm not making any mistakes. The manual is very vague about over-firing (see pic). Here's my setup:

Stove: 2019 Osburn 1600 Insert. Non-cat, solid steel box.
Chimney: Approx 24' fully external masonry chimney with 6" liner and cap
House: 1600 sq ft two story cape. Very well insulated.

My chimney drafts extremely well, if not too well. Even in shoulder season with outside temps 35-50 degrees I have no problem getting her up to 600-700 degrees (magnetic stove top) quickly using just poplar, butternut, and soft maple splits and uglies with the air fully shut down (well, pushed all the way in...can't fully close EPA stoves of course). In fact, even with the air fully shut down I often have a raging inferno to go along with my secondaries. Getting a lazy flame is just not possible with a decent sized load.

My question is when should I start to worry? I have a few cords of 15-20% (fresh split, room temp read) hard maple, red oak, cherry, and ash ready for the real cold weather and my concern is with the colder temps and better wood I could easily get into a run away situation given the strength of my draft. I've gotten her to 725-750 (magnetic stove top) a few times and haven't noticed any issues or anything glowing but I am usually happier/less stressed to cruise at 600-650 ish. I also figure a fully steel box can handle more than the old soap or cast iron smoke dragons. My guess is about 800 ish is probably starting to push it which is coincidentally how high my cheapo thermometer goes.

My insert also protrudes a fair amount (see pic) so while the magnetic thermometer isn't great it's not in a totally terrible position to at least be helpful. Given that it's an insert I don't have many options for gauging temperatures. I'm open to ideas and recommendations on this topic too.

I absolutely love this little stove. It heats our whole house with ease. I figure I better do my homework before my one of my kids comes to me saying "Dad, the stove is orange". ;)

Thanks in advance for your help!

View attachment 267539View attachment 267540
840° is defined an overfire by the maker of your stove. It would probably be a little hotter at the hot spot on the stove (immediately in front of the outlet hole) , compared to where your thermometer is located. I'd try to keep it at 700-750 where your thermometer is located. Even that is sending a lot of heat unnecessarily up the chimney.

Thanks! I'm able to control the stove much easier now that I replaced my glass gasket. I'm able to cruise between 450-600 with big loads with much more normal burntimes and temps. It was the wild wild west with all that extra air getting in.