How long do Door Gasket Last? 2014 Stove got in 2018 - Was Floor Model

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dataman

Minister of Fire
Sep 10, 2018
Newport, Wa
I have Harmon XXV and we get some ash in the house. On our 2nd year and it seems we have very light grey ash when we sweep. Some hazing on Windows that builds up. Stove was professional installed. No noticed leaks on pipe.

On Both sides we have some grey area of ash. Did Dollar bill test and you have to tear the bill out. Distribution fan is clean along with XXV Blower Output area. I have new gasket on order.

I think the ash is from the stove over time. How long should it last in use?

Glass never has stayed clean. Very light soot on top and right side after several hours. What looks like crack on pic is just dirt. No Cracks in door or frame.

20200326_105802.jpg
20200326_105802.jpg

Your stove is in a vacuum when running.
Any ash escaping can only be after the combustion fan
because everything in your stove is being pulled toward
the blower then pushed into the exhaust pipe and out
check your chimney seals for leakage.
Any smoke smell on startup?
The seals on my door and glass are 18 years old and still tight
If you riped the dollar bill your seals are good

Never any smoke smell. I still wonder what is causing the grey dust and film on windows. We have lots of Knotty Pine, but house is form 1991. U think it would be done outgassing. We did trip couple years ago, so some new pine. Still I have gasket and will replace, only to make Wife Happy! Happy Wife, Happy Life!

As mentioned above, your gasket appears to be sealing well. You may make it worse ripping that one out and replacing it! Lacking experience, it is hard to tell if you are stretching it too much when installing. Stretching too much causes the diameter to be too small and not seal well. Not stretching enough causes it to be too thick where the door will not close properly. Your dollar bill test says to leave it alone.

Look closely at the exhaust connections at the stove with a flashlight when it is dark to see evidence of smoke or ash escaping from the connections.

I couldn't really perceive the ash you are talking about from the photos. Could it be existing interior dust spread around by the convection (room) blower? What is the pine you are talking about?

Pine is Tongue and Groove Boards. Example below (Halldown Down Stairs). Whole House is almost this. 80% at least. We get film on windows by end of Winter. Most has been there for 20 years. Gasket on stove is from Harmon. It's on 2nd year for us. I am thinking the Vac I use (Cougar Ash Vac) is part of the problem. I use it when I do 1 Ton Cleaning to get all the ash out of stove (lots misses the bin). Yes I turn to test. New Vac for next year and give this one away to family. Glad Spring is here! Almost done with Pellet Stove.

Attachments

• DSCN1315.JPG
    DSCN1315.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 108