How long will it take to split oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burd

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Feb 29, 2008
Bell bell Pa.
Hello every one I came across a old ock tree that sitting in my wifes hair dressers back yard. This morning I went over to scope out the tree and this tree is big. The hair dresser had some one come and cut every thing down to 18".and the rounds from the base of the tree is 4to5 round and to the top of tree its goes to 12"round Approx 50' long there is a lot of wood their.
Now I'm a first time wood burner and have little wood splitting experience. How long will it take to split all that wood.
I'm going to rent a wood splitter next saturday can I get all that wood split in one day?
How many cords of wood do you think is in that pile of wood?
What size wood splitter should I get?
All the help is very grate full.

Pretty tough questions to try to answer definitively from your description. A pic of the wood might help a lot. You could have 1/3-1/2 cord of wood there, or you could have a lot more...too much info missing to say. If you typed it correctly, you've got a 12" round trunk 50' long...? You're gonna need a chain saw as well as a splitter, you've got some bucking to do. You probably don't need more power than about what a 20-ton splitter will produce, in any case. As to how long it'll take you, there's simply no way to estimate that without seeing a video of you working on it...depends on the weight of the rounds, your skill and technique, whether or not you've got anyone helping you, how far you have to hump the splits to your vehicle, how many trips you have to make to get it out of there, how long it takes you to eat lunch, how many breaks you take...you see what I mean, I'm sure. Good luck with it, sounds like a nice pile of wood. Rick

With a 20 ton splitter you should be able to split that wood in a day with no problem.

Should be no problem to split it in a few hours. I used my new 27 ton splitter and split about 5 face cords in three hours myself. Then went over to my friends house and we split twice as much wood as I had in three hours with both working. This is a two speed pump so most rounds it would split at full speed only slowing down to low speed less than half the time and then only for a short length. I think a lot will depend on how fast the ram moves with the splitter you rent.

I did get another trailer load of oak and took about the same time to split. Now my woodshed is full and I should be good for 2-3 years at least. Oak is very good wood to burn. I went ahead and stacked it in my shed since it has air movement and the oak I got was dead downed trees which had already cured, just needing to dry the moisture out of them from winter and rain.

Backwoods Savage said:
With a 20 ton splitter you should be able to split that wood in a day with no problem.
I agree....but wanted to mention.....if you can get a helper, it makes a big difference. At least, with my old splitter it does. Just getting another family member to move splits out of the way, or roll rounds into place, can be a big time savings.

Totaly agree with grandpajohn! Get a family member to give you a hand! Had to do the same thing recently took about a day, and was a big help to the back with my brother helping! I have a 30 splitter and it had no problem! I say about a real cord, and a half maybe two!

FTY

Will I have any problems using a 27 ton splitter on the 5 foot rounds I'm hoping that their about 4 cords.
I wish I could post pictures on here to show every one the tree and the stove I would be burning it in. I've tried down loading pesca and it didn't work
What does bucking the wood mean.
Any way thanks every one for the quick return.

If my memory of HS math still serves, you have approximately 450 cu. ft. of wood facing you, which is about 5.5 solid cords and which translates into about 8-9 cords stacked (gotta leave room for air). It's gonna be a very long day, but a very warm winter as well. (You might want to consider 2 days for splitting -- it can be backbreaking.)

Burd said:
Will I have any problems using a 27 ton splitter on the 5 foot rounds I'm hoping that their about 4 cords...What does bucking the wood mean.

If you mean 5' long, they won't fit on the splitter bed, they'll have to be bucked to length. If you mean 5' in diameter (which I doubt!), then make sure you've got a splitter that you can operate in a vertical position, because without a hydraulic lift, you'll never get those rounds up onto the bed if it's horizontal. For rounds of any large size, a vertical splitter means less lifting of the rounds up onto the bed. If I have rounds to split any larger than about 14" across (depending on the density of the species, and thus the weight of the round), I put my splitter vertical. Bucking simply refers to cutting a round log to the length you want the splits to be for your stove, whether it's 16", 18", 20", or whatever, before splitting the cut rounds. Rick

If my wife and kids dont break my back first .Ha thank that what I was figuring but with the kids I only have a full saturday.
Homedepo has a 25ton splitter for $108 a day Im hoping to find one cheaper at a local rental center .do you now what sizw splitter will work the best.I'm shore if its bigger its better will a 25 ton splitter do the job or do I get something bigger

Fossal The base of the tree is 4to5 feet in diameter they think it older then two hunderd years I wish I could show you some pictures of this old oak When I step the tree off I stared at the base Toke 17 steps(each step is approx 3 ft) to the Y of the tree and from there it had three chute from the Y to end of chute approx 13 steps at the end of the chute it was 9"indiametor the rest went in to the chipper
So bucking is the size in witch its cut
well they cut the tree for my insert 18"

:wow: Holey Moley, that's a huge old tree. If it's all been bucked to 18", then all you have to do is split it...but for a tree that size, "all you have to do" is a pretty darned big job. For sure get a splitter that can be set up vertically (25 tons should be plenty of splitting power) , and for sure get yourself some help...perhaps beyond the wife & kids. That's many cords of wood, and remember when you've got it split and you're transporting it that a cord of that wood (128 cubic feet of neatly stacked split wood), weighs in excess of 2 tons. Doesn't really matter if the truck/trailer looks like more would pile on, you gotta keep in mind the load capacity of the vehicle and be safe. You definitely got yourself a job and a load of wood. I'm jealous...I'd love to help for a small share of the proceeds...a bit too far away, though. :smirk: Good luck with it, it's the kind of score many of us would just love to have fall into our laps. (well, not literally, of course, because then we'd be squished in half and both halves would be dead, but you know what I mean.) Rick

Burd said:
Fossal The base of the tree is 4to5 feet in diameter they think it older then two hunderd years I wish I could show you some pictures of this old oak When I step the tree off I stared at the base Toke 17 steps(each step is approx 3 ft) to the Y of the tree and from there it had three chute from the Y to end of chute approx 13 steps at the end of the chute it was 9"indiametor the rest went in to the chipper
So bucking is the size in witch its cut
well they cut the tree for my insert 18"

I didn't realize the tree was that large. May take you more than a day to split with those very large pieces of base. For the cost of the wood two days rent on a log splitter would still be a cheap price to pay for the end product. Good splitting with a very warm winter to come.

Youll have to get on that Harly and ride to Pa try to be here around 6am saturday and when we get done well take a ride on the back roads of Pa.
I have a 97 custom sporster and havnt had the chance to ride lately

Burd said:
Youll have to get on that Harly and ride to Pa try to be here around 6am saturday and when we get done well take a ride on the back roads of Pa.
I have a 97 custom sporster and havnt had the chance to ride lately

:lol: Yes, well, if by chance I'm not there quite on time, go ahead and start without me. I'll plan on bringing home about four splits, that OK? The Deuce has been in the garage for some months now, although today actually (finally) would have been a nice day to ride, but I was busy limbing Juniper trees and ripping out an old deck. I think that here in Oregon, my wood burning seasons are going to run longer on average than my motorcycle riding seasons, but the riding possibilities are intriguing as I'm surrounded by some beautiful country. You take care to split safe and ride safe. Rick

I too would like to see a photo of that trunk. Maybe if you have the time you can count the rings and let us know the age of that monster. It will be interesting to see who was president when your tree was young.
Mike

Burd said:
Will I have any problems using a 27 ton splitter on the 5 foot rounds I'm hoping that their about 4 cords.
I wish I could post pictures on here to show every one the tree and the stove I would be burning it in. I've tried down loading pesca and it didn't work
What does bucking the wood mean.
Any way thanks every one for the quick return.

Burd, my neighbor had some white oak that were almost the size you have (4 1/2' diameter) that he couldn't split. So I took my 20 ton splitter and together we wrestled the blocks onto the splitter. As long as there were two of us there was no problem but I could not have handled them alone. As for the splitter, the diameter of the log makes no difference to the splitter, so 20 ton would do the job. If you get bigger, it will still do the job but might cost just a tad more. Go with what you can rent.

You will need a 20+ ton splitter that is horizontal/vertical for that oak unless it comes with a log lift (and I doubt that). If you get that done in a day, you ain't gonna move for 2 more, especially if you are not "used" to the work. Plan on 2 and thats with a helper. I would take a swag that you are looking at 5 cords + of wood (not face cords). Those big chunks make lots of firewood, but your production time slows down when you have to horse them around. If I have it pictured in my mind correctly, you will have 10+ hours of hard labor in front of you. Just a guess though.

Jags said:
You will need a 20+ ton splitter that is horizontal/vertical for that oak unless it comes with a log lift...
I've never used one, but after looking at the design of those hydraulic log lifts, I wonder if it could lift a 5' diameter. Seems like the leverage on the hydro arm would tip the whole machine over sideways; even though it may have the horsepower to lift it. Anyone have experience with this? I'm curious about the capacity.

I think splitting that old oak would take me at least a week. Since retiring I find a 4 hour day just barely doable :p

GranpaJohn - Most splitter that come with or have the option of a log lift have a fairly wide stance. They are typically the bigger splitters which also translates into more weight. I have never heard of (although could be possible) one having any "tipping" problems. My splitter, which is a home brewed one, can lift a 50" x 20" length hunk of oak and the worst of the deflect happens at the tire of the lifting side. No problems yet, and never have I been concerned about tipping.

The way the leverage is, the "heaviest" point of the lift would be the moment it brings the log off of the ground. If it were to tip, theoretically, it would just begin to lift the opposite wheel off the ground.

Actually, it will take NO TIME AT ALL!! Not an exaggeration. . .literally NO TIME. I will bring you a load of Quaking Aspen which will be much easier for you to load, and we'll swap cord for cord. BTW, when I get the oak home, it will take about one six pack and a Saturday afternoon . . . no hydraulics needed :coolsmirk:

Jags said:
You will need a 20+ ton splitter that is horizontal/vertical for that oak unless it comes with a log lift (and I doubt that). If you get that done in a day, you ain't gonna move for 2 more, especially if you are not "used" to the work. Plan on 2 and thats with a helper. I would take a swag that you are looking at 5 cords + of wood (not face cords). Those big chunks make lots of firewood, but your production time slows down when you have to horse them around. If I have it pictured in my mind correctly, you will have 10+ hours of hard labor in front of you. Just a guess though.

Jags said:
GranpaJohn - Most splitter that come with or have the option of a log lift have a fairly wide stance. They are typically the bigger splitters which also translates into more weight. I have never heard of (although could be possible) one having any "tipping" problems. My splitter, which is a home brewed one, can lift a 50" x 20" length hunk of oak and the worst of the deflect happens at the tire of the lifting side. No problems yet, and never have I been concerned about tipping.

The way the leverage is, the "heaviest" point of the lift would be the moment it brings the log off of the ground. If it were to tip, theoretically, it would just begin to lift the opposite wheel off the ground.
Ah, good. I didn't mean to imply that the thing would be unsafe or catastrophic. Just something that would excercise the foul language muscles a lot.
I guess if I were faced with one failing or straining to lift, I would stick a jack under it to give it a little extra help. (Heck, how many gigantic oak rounds is one likely to face in one day?)

Burd said:
Jags said:

If I get the 25 ton splitter I be safe. How heavy can a splitter be . In my eyes them buck are heavyer then the splitter.Im pretty new at this so I thought it would be easier to move the splitter around the log intill they were light enough to handle the log.
I

Status
Not open for further replies.