How many 90 degree turns?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Horizontal? What do you mean?

Where are you getting that considering your other threads on this? You would come up from the stove to a 90 in the connector. Then into a thimble and into a cleanout T. Then straight up through the house. Not following your new concept.

I would try and avoid 3, it slows down the draft too much! Try and keep it to just the “t” and one 90.

I think conventional wisdom is that each 90 will take at least two feet off the effective height of your chimney. Horizontal isn't good either.

For the inside portion of the flue (black pipe sections) you can take (2) 45deg elbows with a small strait section between them.

From personal experience NO 90's are preferred. Two 45's are way better. Had puff back problems till I did the switch and got rid of the 90 and put two 45's in. It got rid of a 18" run of horizontal. Virtually no puff backs now. Better draft through the cat. Kevin

I'm no expert, but in my experience more than 1 90 would definitely slow you down. I know two guys with multiple 90s in their set ups and theirs stoves run like garbage. As Kevin stated above, two 45's are way better, everything will flow that way.