How many cords per hour with gas splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say the limit is your body, not time or the splitter. My wife and I split by hand but we rented a splitter for a day to try to "get ahead" of your growing wood collection this past summer. One rental place allowed you to pick it up at 9AM and it had to be returned by 5PM and another was 8AM to 8AM the next day. We went with the 9-5 one as it was cheaper and it was our first effort so we were not sure how much we could do. As we got going in the morning I was thinking "man we should have got the overnight rental, this is fun and we can split right up until dark (it was summer) but by about 3PM in the afternoon our arms and backs were tired, sore and worn out and we brought the splitter back early:) . We got thru about 2 cords, including a cord of apple that was really hard to split by hand so we felt the effort was worth it but we learned it wasn't the splitter or time that was the limiter- it was our tired old bods:)
Soooo I think it depends on how good of shape you are in and the size of the chuncks you are splitting. If its a bunch of 12 inch diameter ash you'd last much longer than 24" oak for instance. Good luck and post back with your experience and results.

Doable. 1 extra person makes it go 3 times faster or more.
I can do 2 by my self & not be all day, if the wood is easy access to the splitter (we have some long days :) )
I go down the row about 3 feet away & the splits go over the splitter & I work down the row moving the splitter as needed.
Waist high & higher rounds I do horizontal, lower s & big stuff vertical.
You'll get a steady rhythm & system going & splits will be piling up fast.
If you have the space. I'll be a good days work for 2, but doable :)
Have someone take a few pictures when the splitter needs fueled up ;)

Hope it's a cool day & a big supper is ready when your done.

frankly i don’t rent a splitter, i own it. so i'm in no rush when I process my wood because i enjoy the work. for me it's nice to see tangible results unlike my "day job" where it's numbers and spreadsheets..

so, some days i split more and some days i split less..

Working from a log load, once the logs are bucked up, the splitting takes me about 3 hours/cord by myself with a gas splitter. However, I never do that much at one time. My trailer holds 1/3 cord and I split right into that, then go stack.
If I have the energy, I'll do it again, but then I'm usually done for the day, 'cause the staking takes about the same.
So, 3 hrs. to buck, 3 to split, and 3 to stack in the back stacks. When it's done drying, It takes more like 4.5 hours to bring that same cord to the shed, since it has to be put in the trailer again, then taken out again.
13-14 hours/cord x 5 cord.
I usually work alone, but sometimes my brother and I will help each other. Goes much faster with at least 2 people.
Couple years ago, we had 2 trailers going. One being filled with splits and one being emptied into stacks.

Backwoods Savage said:
It would take a lot more time to move the splitter to each tree that we cut. If one has all really large trees and makes firewood rather than sawlogs, then perhaps taking the splitter to the tree is good. I've taken the splitter to the tree only a few times and found it just took too much time. It would also help if one had a clean mature woods but when the woods has lots of brush then moving the splitter around can be a problem. So we stack the wood (halfheartedly) during the winter cutting and when the cutting is done and the snow has melted we move the splitter to the pile and start splitting. In only a few days all the splitting is done and the splitter goes back into the barn waiting for next year.

So, to answer your question. NO. That is not double work.
OK I was in a total different zone. I only bring home logs and have a pile of logs to work from. I take a log off the pile, buck it to length and then split it right then. You must cut to length in the field and bring home cut to length logs. But still where is the nasties?. I see in your pic only perfect pieces, no narlies.

:lol: We still get a few nasties but not many. I usually use them to hold down the roofing we put over our piles. Also most of our trees are not that large. I haven't cut anything over 30" for so long I don't remember the last time. Our woods are quite thick too with only narrow trails for the atv. I have got in one area with a tractor to take out some saw logs but that was several years ago. For sure I can see why you do as you do because of the equipment and the large trees.

Cord an hour with 3 people. ;-) Thats loaded in the tralier or stack depending on what your doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.