How many hours per bag?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Radler

Dec 29, 2010
NH
I am a new pellet stove owner and am suffering the learning curve. My present question is this: How many hours should it take me to burn 40 lbs? I have an Enerzone Bio-45 (45,000 BTU) and with the setting on the lowest of six it takes anywhere from 15- 28 hours to burn a bag. Part of my question is why does it vary so much from bag to bag if it is on the same setting? Doesn't the setting just determine the speed of the auger? The manual claims the burn rate on the slowest setting is 1.3 lbs./hr which would mean that it should take about 30 hours to burn 40 lbs., it has never gone that long.
Is there some sort of sensor that determines how much fuel is needed in spite of it not being on a thermostat? Strangely, barefoot pellets have burnt the quickest and those are just about the most highly reviewed of any I could find. I know there are a lot of questions buries in my question but if anyone can shed any light on this I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Radler said:
I am a new pellet stove owner and am suffering the learning curve. My present question is this: How many hours should it take me to burn 40 lbs? I have an Enerzone Bio-45 (45,000 BTU) and with the setting on the lowest of six it takes anywhere from 15- 28 hours to burn a bag. Part of my question is why does it vary so much from bag to bag if it is on the same setting? Doesn't the setting just determine the speed of the auger? The manual claims the burn rate on the slowest setting is 1.3 lbs./hr which would mean that it should take about 30 hours to burn 40 lbs., it has never gone that long.
Is there some sort of sensor that determines how much fuel is needed in spite of it not being on a thermostat? Strangely, barefoot pellets have burnt the quickest and those are just about the most highly reviewed of any I could find. I know there are a lot of questions buries in my question but if anyone can shed any light on this I would appreciate it. Thanks.

There is no scale system hooked up to a pellet stove. Pellet size vary and this will cause it to feed more or less. The feed rates the stove gives is just an estimate. So if you look into it 1.3 lbs of pellets an hour will give you less than 11,000 input btu per hour based on your pellets having 8,200 btu per lbs.

Eric

Eric, thanks for the reply, I am learning, slowly. I saw that you sell a whole bunch of stoves including Harman. Is there any way you may be able to tell me if I have made a good choice or not. I was looking at the P-43 and the Enerzone and made the decision because they were selling the Enerzone for $1,700 which made it $1,000 less than the p-43. I know Harman is THR stove but in your opinion have I sacrificed quality for a good deal? I understand if you are unable to answer this question due to your job but I thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks.

Radler said:
Eric, thanks for the reply, I am learning, slowly. I saw that you sell a whole bunch of stoves including Harman. Is there any way you may be able to tell me if I have made a good choice or not. I was looking at the P-43 and the Enerzone and made the decision because they were selling the Enerzone for $1,700 which made it $1,000 less than the p-43. I know Harman is THR stove but in your opinion have I sacrificed quality for a good deal? I understand if you are unable to answer this question due to your job but I thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks.

Honestly I have never heard of your stove. I would have gone with the Heatilator PS-50 at 50,000 btu for $1,700.00. That is the best stove for the money that I have ever seen.

Eric

That's a shame to hear that. I had considered the Heatilator for a while until the store selling it told me that it was just slightly better version of a Home Depot type model. He sells Harman and was likely just trying to get me to buy one.
Enerzone is out of Quebec City and does seem to be relatively unknown. I hope I have not bought myself a dud. Too late now so i will just tell myself it is all alright.

Heatilator does not have a "big box store" version unless i missed the news letter. I am shocked a Harman Dealer said that because HHT the parent company of Harman makes the Heatilator.

Eric

Most pellet stove manufacturers will tell you that the various Levels on your stove represent lbs. per hour of pellet burn, so on Level 1 (or however your furnace labels the burn levels), you're burning roughly 1 lb. of pellets per hour, level 5, 5 lbs. per hour. From there it's relatively easy to do the math to figure out how long a bag will last you in terms of burn hours. Of course, as kinsman already mentioned, there is variability from one pellet brand to another, so you'll have to gauge your burn rate based on your own observations of running your stove over the course of a few days at a consistent setting or level.

Enough of that tech talk, deal is..................12-24 hr's on a bag no matter what stove you got.

Well imac, thats a PELLET PIG! of a Stove!! :)

With my whitfield advantage on setting 1 i'd get about 24 hrs. / bag out of short pellets like energex, when I started buying super premium pellets like instant heat and dry creek that contained longer pellets i was getting about 30 hrs. / bag, but the house fluctuated between 66 and 72 depending on the how cold it was outside, with the new xxv i'm getting exactly 24 hrs. / bag running 24/7 but the house is a constant 71.

This season I installed an hour meter to see how long 2 bags would last in my stove.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/60581/

Best was MWP at 27h 48m for 2 bags and worst was Hardwood heat at 19h 53m. Stoves feed by volume(not weight). So pellet density and size effect the burn length. Take the pounds per hour rating of the stove's with a grain of salt.

Too many variables for my stove. Wind, temps, how warm I want it. If it 35 outside during the day and 20 at night with light winds and I want 70 degreess Iburn 2 bags per day. If it's single digits outside and howling wind and I want 70 degrees it jumps to 4 bags per day easy. No insulation in house.

Turbo-Quad said:
Too many variables for my stove. Wind, temps, how warm I want it. If it 35 outside during the day and 20 at night with light winds and I want 70 degreess Iburn 2 bags per day. If it's single digits outside and howling wind and I want 70 degrees it jumps to 4 bags per day easy. No insulation in house.

Son,

I say you needs some of them permanent pellets else Miss Prissy ain't gonna roost in your coop.

Status
Not open for further replies.