How many Jelly Beans,....I mean cords ? W/ pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Russ, who did you get the load from? Do you know if they are selling anymore? I am looking to get a load and the person that i had lined up to get a load from is not sure if he will have enough left when he gets to me on the list. My parents live in Seisholtzville and that is where it would be delivered to so i am only a few minutes away from you.

wood dope said:
woops! didn't realize answer was already posted.As usual I'm a day late and a dollar short.

I just did the same thing !

Is it too late to guess 4.625??? :)

Ah, you use that cross stack method with lots of air gaps....I'm guessing stacked tightly it would be 4 cords...so Battenkiller and Hareball are the winners Price is Right Style %-P
Just kidding....thanks for the quiz on the board, as its been a bit slow lately.
Looks like you have a good haul there for yourself..nice work. :cheese:

ilikewood said:
Ah, you use that cross stack method with lots of air gaps....I'm guessing stacked tightly it would be 4 cords...so Battenkiller and Hareball are the winners Price is Right Style %-P
Just kidding....thanks for the quiz on the board, as its been a bit slow lately.
Looks like you have a good haul there for yourself..nice work. :cheese:

I only do the cross stack on the ends to stabilize the stacks. It most likely does have a little slop, but I can't imagine more the 1/2 a cord, maybe a 1/4.

deerhntr said:
Battenkiller said:
Pile looks about 7' high by 18' across. Using a formula that I use to estimate firewood piles with, I came up with just about 600 cu.ft. tossed in a pile. Using 180 cu.ft. tossed = 1 full cord stacked, I come up with 3.33 cord. Let's call it 3 1/2 cord.

Battenkiller,

I wish I had your formula before I stacked the wood. I didn't make any measurements, but I will next time. The pic was a little deceiving.

Would you mind sharing your formula?

It's based on the volume of a cone. 1/3 πr² * height. Since π is about 3.14, I just round it off to 3, close enough for firewood. That way, the 3's cancel out in the formula and you are left with just radius squared times the height. So a pile that is 18' across and 7' high would be 9²x7'= 587 cu.ft. I rounded it up to 600 cu.ft. in your case. Then you have to figure that 180 cu.ft. tossed is about 128 cu.ft stacked, so you divide the volume of your pile by 180 and get an approximation of how many cord you have.

Most times a dump trailer will leave an elongated pile rather than a dome, so I measure both directions and average them. You also have to project a line by eye that goes up to the theoretical peak, because the pile will not have a sharp peak to it so it will be shorter in reality than the figure you are looking for.

Anyway, with a little practice, I've been able to use it to get a fair idea for loads from 1-4 cord. Always been within about 10-15%. Course, that depends on how you stack. ;-)

BTW, that's a real good price for logs. They go for almost twice that around here. The paper mills pay almost $100/cord for logs, so they set the bare minimum price in my parts. At the price you paid, I'd get back into cutting and splitting my own.

However much is there, sure is nice looking all stacked up.
Good job.
Gonna shrink some as it seasons, I say 4.375 when dry & stacked tight in a wood shed :)

Ramon Bow said:
We're using "The Price is Right" rules right? if so i guess 2.79

ONE TOOTHPICK.

Bob was so much better than Drew.

bogydave said:
However much is there, sure is nice looking all stacked up.
Good job.
Gonna shrink some as it seasons, I say 4.375 when dry & stacked tight in a wood shed :)

Hey Dave,

Thanks! Is the weather breaking up there yet. Hope so. BTW, love your state. Been up 5 times, always leave wanting more. Been through Mat-Su a couple of times heading north up to the Park. Nothing like fishing the Russian river in late July for sockeyes. Combat fishing at it's best. We always rent an RV in anchorage, then head south to the Kenai for the duration of our trip. Salmon,Halibut,Trout and Dollies, nothing like it!

Your living in God's country. Enjoy it.

Oh, the glory ... and in true Price is Right style I chose 4.51 to knock out the 4.5 estimate. Now, if only you would hook me up with a two-tone Chevette I would really be pumped.

gorsuchmill said:
Oh, the glory ... and in true Price is Right style I chose 4.51 to knock out the 4.5 estimate. Now, if only you would hook me up with a two-tone Chevette I would really be pumped.

Congrads on the WIN and here is your Chevette.

Zap

Attachments

• chev_00729l.jpg
    chev_00729l.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 164
Ive got the same question..I bought two cords of birch yesterday but I think I got shorted.

Attachments

• IMG_1419.jpg
    IMG_1419.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 129
Status
Not open for further replies.