How many loads per day? How many splits? Temps?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Temps here this week are around -2°C during the day and about -6-8°C overnight. A week ago, I was burning 4 half loads per day of smallish rounds and splits (hard and soft mix). Recently I've been burning 3 loads per day of larger splits (all hard) and it seems to be working out so far. It would be great to only load the stove 3 times per day but I'm not sure if I can get away with this once winter hits full on. Last night I loaded 4 large splits of ash and maple around 9:30 and reloaded this morning on coals around 7:30. It's 22 °C in the house right now and I'm going to fire up today's second load within an hour. What do you do?

NO, I doubt you will get by with that once cold air comes. Last night wasn't cold here by any means, only around 25. Still, we put in 4 splits and almost roasted ourselves out.

I have a cat stove. When it's above 25°f (-4C) I get long 24 hour burns with 1 full load of birch.
I stuff the stove as full as I can though. 80 to 100 lbs of birch.

bogydave said:
I have a cat stove. When it's above 25°f (-4C) I get long 24 hour burns with 1 full load of birch.
I stuff the stove as full as I can though. 80 to 100 lbs of birch.

Yeah I've seen your recent posts Dave...ahh your in a different league altogether! Amazing burn times on your stove!

I did a thread on this one time and the average number of splits per day was 24, radon sizes, random species, moderate cold, load them 3 at a time or 8 at a time. Didn't seem to matter. Of course the 24/day is a huge generalization for lots of conditions, but it did seem to be the average for average temps and the average set up. Not scientific but kind of surprising how many fit in that general category.

We are finally getting into a winter pattern here. Turned off the furnace and I'm now burning 2 half loads per day.

-SF

I'm at 1 wood ring per week, and the house is 75+ on average.

I could get used to this kind of weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.