How many members are using 5.5" Liners? How do they draft?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
I'm going to be using a 5.5" liner instead of a 6" due to the clay tiles in my chimney and was wonder how well they're working/drafting for everyone. It'll be 26' give or take a little and I'm planning to pour the insulation. I don't think the draft will be a problem but I'm looking for real world results before I order everything.

Thanks

If you have a tall enough chimney (more than 15' or so) you should be fine, providing your stove was designed to run off a 6" flue. I would insulate at the top and bottom of the liner to create a dead air space which will help keep the chimney warm

I have 5.5" liners, one 21' and the other 30' uninsulated in masonry chimneys and they draft like vacuum cleaners. In any weather.

In fact I have to use a key damper on the one in the basement and wish I could put one on the stove in the fireplace on the main floor.

My 5.5 inch liner draft well on a marginal 15ft chimney. So well that i'm going to modify the stove air intake this season.

I have a 5.5" liner with [edit - uninsulated] chimney about 25' - great draft so far and have not run it in real cold temps yet (was 14 degrees celcius yesterday and had a great draft).

Same here, 22' of 5.5" flex with some kaowool packed into the top under the cap. Draft is great.

Thanks guys, sounds like I should be fine!

You will. I've got one that's right at 15'. Non-insulated. Indoor chimney. Great draft but not too much in my box but mine is short.

Do the manuals for most stoves say a 5.5 in is acceptable for a 6 in flue? I was always under the impression that it was only OK to go larger. However, going larger reduces draft.

pen

pen said:
Do the manuals for most stoves say a 5.5 in is acceptable for a 6 in flue? I was always under the impression that it was only OK to go larger. However, going larger reduces draft.

pen

All of the manuals say that it has to be the same size or larger. Next time you clean your stove pipe measure the hole in the top plate of your 30-NC under the flue collar. Exactly 5.5".

BrotherBart said:
pen said:

pen

All of the manuals say that it has to be the same size or larger. Next time you clean your stove pipe measure the hole in the top plate of your 30-NC under the flue collar. Exactly 5.5".

I :bug: said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and .......

Thanks

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.