How many people, still burn firewood in their pre epa wood burning stove ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Overall, I view pre epa stoves like a classic car that can be enjoyed with a highball and friends. :) To me, it also just seems wasteful to throw out something just because it is old or not the top efficiency. It costs energy to make new things all things considered and it is still better to burn wood than oil. I personally enjoy keeping them running and they are pretty forgiving too with the type of wood you burn (doesn't have to be super super dry). Just my two cents.

Cheers,

I think the "old car / new car" analogy is appropriate. However, just like cars, many pre-EPA stoves are from the age when carburetors had the bugs worked out and they performed reliably, predictably, and even got decent gas mileage! Some pre EPA stoves are more like a 1930s car - beautiful, fascinating, (somewhat) unsafe, and unreliable.

I'd love to own a model T and a late 80s K10 or F150, but they're very different animals. I would comfortably daily the pickup but only occasionally fire up the model T for a nice Sunday cruise. I'd take a 1980s truck far out into the woods every weekend (I might actually do this...) largely because of the relative mechanical simplicity (where a problem can be fixed with a tool box, rather than an OBD scanner, wifi, and a powerful CPU) and robust baseline reliability.

The dichotomy of "pre EPA" and "EPA-approved-I'm-saving-the-planet-and-not-an-evil-smoke-dragon" can get a little out of hand sometimes. To throw, say, a barrel stove and a 1980s stove with a long flame path, legitimate secondary combustion, and >70% heating efficiency into the same category seems a bit inequitable.

What do I know, though? I ain't no scholar; just another uneducated redneck from the sticks 😂.

I think the "old car / new car" analogy is appropriate. However, just like cars, many pre-EPA stoves are from the age when carburetors had the bugs worked out and they performed reliably, predictably, and even got decent gas mileage! Some pre EPA stoves are more like a 1930s car - beautiful, fascinating, (somewhat) unsafe, and unreliable.

I'd love to own a model T and a late 80s K10 or F150, but they're very different animals. I would comfortably daily the pickup but only occasionally fire up the model T for a nice Sunday cruise. I'd take a 1980s truck far out into the woods every weekend (I might actually do this...) largely because of the relative mechanical simplicity (where a problem can be fixed with a tool box, rather than an OBD scanner, wifi, and a powerful CPU) and robust baseline reliability.

The dichotomy of "pre EPA" and "EPA-approved-I'm-saving-the-planet-and-not-an-evil-smoke-dragon" can get a little out of hand sometimes. To throw, say, a barrel stove and a 1980s stove with a long flame path, legitimate secondary combustion, and >70% heating efficiency into the same category seems a bit inequitable.

What do I know, though? I ain't no scholar; just another uneducated redneck from the sticks 😂.
But if it's an 80s stove with secondary combustion it was most likely built to meet the first stage of epa regulations. Just like the 80s trucks were.

I have a double door Timberline that came with the house. This is the first winter with it and I've been using it as the primary heat source with electric for backup. I like the nice big fire box that can accommodate 24" pieces because that means less cuts for me with the chain saw. I can also split the wood into larger chunks because the fire box is so large. I live in pine tree country and the property has plenty of trees to supply the stove. The stove also heats up really quick so when I need to start the fire back up each evening the whole process only takes ~15 min. So far we've used about 1.5 cords of pine over two months, and I expect to be using the stove 6 months out of the year. Not sure how much a new stove would save me in terms of wood consumption. A neighbor told me he got quoted $15K to install a new wood burning stove from a local company. I spent all my money on other projects around the house and am glad I'm saving money on a heating bill and that I don't have to spend money replacing a well-functioning heating appliance that appears to require almost no maintenance aside from the annual pipe cleaning.

As long as it's safely installed, the wood is free for one's labor, and the stove is in good shape then enjoy. FWIW, it's pretty certain that $15k included installation of a new flue system. Chimney system parts and labor costs have gone up a lot in the past few years. Some new stoves have also gotten very expensive, but a good large stove can still be found for under $2000 and the best big ones are still under $5K.

i see it everyday in my electrical business. people will spend 5 times the money for efficiency and not pay off in the long run for something that is working and nothing wrong with it. they just want efficiency and to pay for the same job in 10 to 15 years. not money wise in my book, money foolish. i don't have the money to thro away but their way pays my mortgage

i see it everyday in my electrical business. people will spend 5 times the money for efficiency and not pay off in the long run for something that is working and nothing wrong with it. they just want efficiency and to pay for the same job in 10 to 15 years. not money wise in my book, money foolish. i don't have the money to thro away but their way pays my mortgage
Are you talking bout the outdoor boilers ?

nope. i'm speaking about in people in general. not all people but generally people tend to like to spend other people money and think they are crazy if they are not buying.

Reactions: Itslay90
Our 1400sqft cabin came with a barely used FA264CCL. I'm sooo envious of one being found in a never-fired condition!

I'm looking for a name plate...

BRASS NAME PLATE (#7000044)

The plate is the same size for 224 (old ones ... Newer had no plate and VC2181), 264, 288, and newer stoves of same design (VCxxxx).

Love this stove!

I still have an old Quaker in our camp, which we use occasionally in cold weather months. It is great for getting the place warmed up fast.

20231221_222903.jpg

Can you still install a pre-EPA used stove and get it permitted?

Overall, I view pre epa stoves like a classic car that can be enjoyed with a highball and friends. :) To me, it also just seems wasteful to throw out something just because it is old or not the top efficiency. It costs energy to make new things all things considered and it is still better to burn wood than oil. I personally enjoy keeping them running and they are pretty forgiving too with the type of wood you burn (doesn't have to be super super dry). Just my two cents.

Cheers,
tell that to my wife ;lol

Reactions: all night moe
In some jurisdictions no. Also, some insurance companies won't underwrite a policy with a non-UL stove.

Reactions: TWoods
Yes in most states but technically any new installs need to be ul listed stoves

Reactions: TWoods
Yes...but it depends on local regulations. I'd check with your town or county to get more information. Every place I have lived it has been allowed so long as you are homeowner and not a builder doing new construction. I think it is safe to say that the closer you are to any major urban areas the more likely they are not allowed. They are smokier after all and in a dense area you'd be impacting neighbors. I've always lived in the Northeast but never right in a proper city - mostly the burbs.

I am a big fan of these older stoves...but I think one should think carefully before doing an install for these reasons:

1. Check local regs as stated above. The last thing you want is do an "illegal" install and then have a problem. Your insurance company will not support you if they find out and you might have to prove that you did it right if the fire report says you had a chimney fire. Don't give them a reason to deny your claim. If you pull a permit and conform to local codes, then you have that to rely on. Usually getting permitted is not hard and most inspectors are good guys. You might also get some good advice too. Not doing that is not worth the risk in my opinion. Most areas just focus on safety and that you follow the manufacturers recommendations so it is not hard.
  2. If your house is already very tight and efficient you might not want one because they use air from inside the home. I've known folks to have a super efficient home already and then try to install an older stove only to have a tough time solving drafting issues and dealing with lots of smoke in their house. Pre-EPA stoves were designed for homes built in the 70s, 80s or earlier (so with minimal insulation and plenty of air gaps here and there). New stoves can have outside air intakes which solves this issues (but pre-EPA don't have that to my knowledge).
Just my two cents.

cheers,

Reactions: clancey
I'm really struggling with a new EPA stove because the wood I have isn't dry enough. I'm about ready to go back to the old stove.

Reactions: Itslay90
Same here, my wood is dry tho, it’s just that my stove is in the basement. What stove do you have ?
I bought a Master Forge from Lowe's. It ran pretty good for a few days then I guess I got into some wood that wasn't as well seasoned because it's been a pain to run all week. I bought some bio blocks and it was back to running great on those. Just seems too tricky to get the right wood for it.

I bought a Master Forge from Lowe's. It ran pretty good for a few days then I guess I got into some wood that wasn't as well seasoned because it's been a pain to run all week. I bought some bio blocks and it was back to running great on those. Just seems too tricky to get the right wood for it.
Got to use dry seasoned wood. Simple as that unfortunately. Got to get next years wood at least a year before you burn it, 2 years would be better. If u can't/won't do that than you will have endless frustration.

Reactions: fbelec
Oh yeh I know that now. I'm getting a little bit better burns throwing the green wood on top of bio bricks. It's just a pain that these stoves are so choked down they won't burn anything but dry wood.

I have an old Reginald I use to heat my shop.. It wasn't enough to help in the house, so I ended up with a pellet stove in there. Does great in the shop though!

It came to me from my dad that got it from his grandparents farm house years ago.