How Many Splits in 24 hours?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see an "average" trend here. Thanks to everyone posting. My wife says "what difference does it make? Just keep me warm." :kiss: Being a reasonably intelligent guy I think, I didn't answer that one. :coolsmile:

Umm good question...I think I may know ...but I work days and my wife is always cold and she loads the stove while I'm gone.....and I gave up keeping track! :-S

wood dope said:
...but I work days and my wife is always cold and she loads the stove while I'm gone.....and I gave up keeping track! :-S

If she is like my wife, it's easy, she burns as many as are in the bucket by the stove :lol:

The size of all of our splits can vary greatly. I have been cutting mine 20 inches long and averaging pretty thick ones, 4 or 5 inches. I probably also use around 20 if I burn all day. But alot more if I am using 16 inch splits like I used to.

I figure about one large split/hr. Same as everybody else, I reckon. If you're heating the whole place, you need a whole lot of wood no matter what stove you have. There's just so many BTUs in a pound of wood.

tfdchief said:
So how many splits (or rounds) do you go through in 24 hours? I know, it will depend on the temperature, wind, size of splits (or rounds), etc. etc. But lets just say average for all of those. I go through about 20, give or take, depending on all of the above.

tfdchief, with another cold snap coming in I'm going to keep track on what type of wood and how much we use in 24 hours. Most likely it will be more than most because we heat from the basement.

Zap

zapny said:
tfdchief said:
So how many splits (or rounds) do you go through in 24 hours? I know, it will depend on the temperature, wind, size of splits (or rounds), etc. etc. But lets just say average for all of those. I go through about 20, give or take, depending on all of the above.

tfdchief, with another cold snap coming in I'm going to keep track on what type of wood and how much we use in 24 hours. Most likely it will be more than most because we heat from the basement.

Zap
10-4 Zap, thanks. I know it is a hard question to answer as it depends on so many things like size and species of splits, temperature, stove, burning habits, size of space you are heating and how it is insulated. I just wanted a kind of average number for each individual's situation...on the average. I said 20 splits/24 hours, give or take a few. That's average. During the below zero we had, I probably was more like 30, but when it gets up in the 30 degree range and above, I am below 20. I do think it is interesting that no matter what the distinctions are with each who posted, stove, temp, size of splits, etc. the trend seems to be around 20 give or take. Not as much variation as I thought there would be. Just thought it might be an interesting and different perspective.

Obviously, it depends how cold it is. I burn mostly oak---about 3-5 splits lasts roughly 4 hours....= a split an hour,I'd suppose.

in the course of the day (24 hours) keeping the temp constant mid 70 s my lakewood eats 18 to 20 pieces.

tfdchief said:
I see an "average" trend here. Thanks to everyone posting. My wife says "what difference does it make? Just keep me warm." :kiss: Being a reasonably intelligent guy I think, I didn't answer that one. :coolsmile:

Awesome , very intelligent man you are

adrpga498 said:
tfdchief said:

"Well dear, I need to know how many splits it takes to keep you warm so I can make to sure to have at least that many ready." :roll:

PapaDave said:
adrpga498 said:
tfdchief said:

"Well dear, I need to know how many splits it takes to keep you warm so I can make to sure to have at least that many ready." :roll:
Thanks PapaDave, that would have been a good answer. I may use that in the future ;-)

Its such a huge variable, I load the stove twice a day when its warm out like now, could load it 5 times when burning it hot in COLD weather.
The pieces added vary in size, and the colder it is outside, the fuller i load the stove.
Could be 3 pieces per load, or 6.

Normally I go through 12 to 24 pieces a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.