How many tons of pellets to order for a season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you take a picture of that burn pot and cradle area and post it so we can see what the setup is in that unit?

Are those unburned pellets broken pieces or complete pellets? If they are pieces then slowly reducing the air is likely to keep them in the burn pot.

I will take picture but not sure how to post.I read the directions on the forum home page is there an easier way to post the pics?

They are probably broken pieces because are left over from last season. How do i reduce the air?

Polish Princess said:
I will take picture but not sure how to post.I read the directions on the forum home page is there an easier way to post the pics?

They are probably broken pieces because are left over from last season. How do i reduce the air?

You close the damper a bit while watching the pellets drop into the burn pot. It is possible that the air flow is a bit too high for the smaller pieces and that they are being blown back out.

As for the pictures, if you have a photo bucket account you can upload them to there and put a link to them in one of your posts.

Planning to get 3 ton again this year. Burned through 2.5 in the house last year and used some for my camping and outdoor fires in the spring last year. Still have 3/4 of a pallet left, so 3 ton on top of that should be plenty.

Polish Princess said:

Helped you out a bit.

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

We have a 2100 sq. ft. tri-level. We use pellets all we can, in very cold winters, such as last year we supplement with heat pump or electric on upper two levels. In cold weather pellets usually are 70-80% of our heating source. I have found that tri-levels are hard to distribute warm air in. Our pellet usage last year was 3.5 tons.

Went through 5 ton last year here in central NJ. Heating a 2500 sq. ft. 4br colonial. I kept the house at 72 degrees with only my Englander 10-cpm. The propane co. called and wants to know how we opperated on 400 gal of propane for 15 months. KMA propane Co.

Indy3 said:
....The propane co. called and wants to know how we opperated on 400 gal of propane for 15 months. KMA propane Co.
;-)

So, what was the final impression of the 10-cpm after last winter?

imacman said:
Indy3 said:
....The propane co. called and wants to know how we opperated on 400 gal of propane for 15 months. KMA propane Co.
;-)

So, what was the final impression of the 10-cpm after last winter?

The best thing we ever did for our family. The fire is cozy. The heat in the whole house is warm and the cost is minimal. A little inconvinent, but for saving $3K a year or more, I'll do it.

Things look pretty good in the burn area, the stirrer will kick a bit of stuff around.

The pop corning outside of the burn pot is frequently caused by a bit too much burn air and as I mentioned earlier you can take care of that by closing the the damper slowly while watching the flame and the action in the burn pot.

I think all Graham did was post the direct links Picasa used for each picture.

Haubera said:
Planning to get 3 ton again this year. Burned through 2.5 in the house last year and used some for my camping and outdoor fires in the spring last year. Still have 3/4 of a pallet left, so 3 ton on top of that should be plenty.

How do you use pellets in camp fires? In addition to normal wood? Just throw a bunch in? I'd imagine they'd burn fast.

This is my first year, I have 2 tons of Spruce Pointe, two tons of HD junk (not dilevered yet) and 1 ton of corn.

Okay ,I just found out I have the burn box in backwards.

For those that have a model 6500 the manual does not show how to install. Page 12 shows the ash cleanouts and if look
closely see the high part of the burn box towards the door.

No wonder pellets bouncing out and I also think is the fact as Smokey mentioned broken pellets and too much air. Thank you for helping me.

I know this is an old thread. But if you're burning 3+ bags/day wouldn't that mean that you'll use 9 ~ 10 tons of pellets/year. I understand shoulder season will burn fewer pellets.

I will burn 5 ton. My house is 2,200sq feet and I use at as my sole heating source November-April.
The temp is usually 68-72 downstairs and 62-65 upstairs.
That sounds exactly like what I burn to keep the same temp as you except I put a thru the wall fan thru my downstairs ceiling to the upstairs which brings the temp in the upstairs bedroom up to about 68 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.