How much creosote is too much creosote?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gtilflm

Apr 2, 2023
Spokane, WA
Just did my first chimney sweep using https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085GCN5KP/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_image_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I did it from the top-down and all seemed to go well. There was definitely some creosote built up, but I'm wondering if the amount that was there was a "regular" amount. I'd say it was about 2-3 cups of black creosote "dust". Nothing shiny, no big flecks. Just charcoal gray material.
  • Run Length: About 9 ft. of class A and 12 ft. of double wall stove pipe
  • New install of a Lopi Liberty in fall 2023.
  • Burned on many weekends during the 2023-2024 winter. Not much outside of that though. No overnight burns. I don't have an idea of how much in terms of cords was burned.
  • Wood type: Ponderosa pine
  • The chimney cap seemed to have a little more build up than the top of the chimney.
The only thing I noticed during the burning season was occasional creosote flakes that would end up on the ground/deck close to where the chimney comes out of the roof. These were like carbon paper and would vary in size (up to about 1/3 of a credit card).

So, does all of this seem normal given the circumstances?

If nothing shiny, it's good for a total run of 20 ft.
The lighter the color (less black, via brown to gray) the better.

The flakes on the ground are likely from condensed stuff on the cap (the coldest part), and they can blow off in the wind or flake off when the temperature changes much. I would not worry about it if your pipe is good.
Do cast a glance to the cap every now and then to see that it does not get blocked.

You went up the roof?
With the system with rods, one should be able to sweep from the bottom up.
(That's what I do in my chimney.)

Yes, I went on the roof. I know you can do it from the bottom up too. Since I was already going to go up to inspect the chimney cap and other stuff, I thought this wouldn't be hard to do. Having to go through the bottom sounded like it would create a lot of mess. I've read pros and cons of both.... probably a "6 and 1/2 dozen" kind of thing.

Okay. I've never had a mess but if you were on the roof anyway it makes sense

Did you vacuum above the baffle after sweeping?

Great, then you're all set for next season with the stove.
Wood for next season has been stacked already?

I get small chips about 1/4" X 1/4" flat mixed in with black / brown powder. some years less chips. The pipe should mostly clean with a few passes of the brush. Black but no build up. Watch for more build up of gooey stuff on the cap screen. It's cold so it's normal for this to happen. Mine and many others cap screen gets removed.

I do top down, which isn't easy, with laders on the roof. I think less mess in the house. I take the top 4' section off. Gravity makes everything end up in the stove and it's easy to clean out.

I have a very steep roof like 60 deg style so I clean bottom up. weed wacker style cleaner . i get a little over 2 cups worth on my 30 ft flue . but it runs almost 24-7 as it heats the whole 2200sq ft house all winter. about 4 cord worth goes through it , all hard woods.

So..... for creosote buildup, is it better to run on a 24-7 model? Also, how could you ever clean out the ash in the bottom when burning 24-7?

So..... for creosote buildup, is it better to run on a 24-7 model? Also, how could you ever clean out the ash in the bottom when burning 24-7?
Just rake the coals over to one side and shovel put some ashes every so often before a reload. I do mine every 2 to 3 weeks typically. And yes typically you get a bit less creosote if you keep the chimney and stove warm instead of a bunch of cold starts

@bholler: We have Ponderosa Pine, so maybe that's why we're getting lots of ash? There's a good thick blanket at the bottom after two burns (on like a Sat. and a Sun.). Will try your idea though. Thanks!

Many people have intermittent fires. If you burn properly (hit enough, dry wood, so clean enough) it'll be fine. No need to do 24/7 to be safe. It's the start up where the chimney is cold and where secondary returns is not yet fully operational and that results in some stuff in the flue.

The nice thing about cleaning out ashes when the stove is warm/hot is that the draft sucks any flying ash into the flue rather than that it wafts into your home.

@bholler: We have Ponderosa Pine, so maybe that's why we're getting lots of ash? There's a good thick blanket at the bottom after two burns (on like a Sat. and a Sun.). Will try your idea though. Thanks!
You want to leave atleast an inch of ash there while burning

The stove stays hotter between reload s with a bed of coals / ash in the stove. The bed of ash is reduced when you leave it in the stove as long as you can. Eventually you do need to clean it out. I have a ash pan that works well. Just need to get it thru the grate in the floor of the stove.

That pine should produce less ash than hardwoods.
I’ve been using pine to burn down the coals and eat up the ash bed.

Reactions: EbS-P and BillBurns
I think the ash compacts down too.

Eventually it’s reduced as far as it’ll go, yet it doesn’t really add up as fast as I think it would.

Reactions: BillBurns
I have never been able to tell the quantity of ash left after burning one wood or another. But I burn mostly oak with a few other unknowns. Maybe I don't have all the woods you guys burn.

Yes Matt, the ash compresses with every reburn, to a point. I try to leave it in the stove as long as possible. But the issue is cleaning becomes a big project dealing with a few full ash pans.

Sorry for the noob questions, but why do you guys keep ash at the bottom? I've read on this forum that cast iron stoves you need ash at the bottom and people are worried about having a fire with no ash??? Wtf?

I have a drolet with fire bricks at the bottom and read that it's ok not to have ash at the bottom. Considering I have the escape 1200 I always clean out my ashes completly before the next burn to have as much room as possible.

You guys leave ash for cast iron? It's cast iron!!!! Please inform me.

Sorry for the noob questions, but why do you guys keep ash at the bottom? I've read on this forum that cast iron stoves you need ash at the bottom and people are worried about having a fire with no ash??? Wtf?

I have a drolet with fire bricks at the bottom and read that it's ok not to have ash at the bottom. Considering I have the escape 1200 I always clean out my ashes completly before the next burn to have as much room as possible.

You guys leave ash for cast iron? It's cast iron!!!! Please inform me.
A thin bed of ashes will greatly increase the ammount of time you can hold coals. Every stove I have ever used (which is many) has always burnt better and longer with an ash bed

What's funny is someone said on this forum read what the Manual says and mine says to clean up all the ash before use.

Next time I have a fire I'll leave some ash and see if it makes a difference.

Stoves with ash drawers also can benefit as those can leak if there is ashes behind the drawer, preventing the door from closing properly. Ashes block any air flow from there.

I also think half to one inch of ashes keep the fire box hitter for better burning. Less heat radiates out through the bottom (because even with brick heat radiates out there). And below the stove is the place where we need heat the least