How much creosote??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Postalizer

Sep 18, 2008
Central CT
Just wondering how much creosote you guys let build up
before you sweep chimney. Just checked mine and had a
buildup about the thickness of a few pieces of paper.
It was hard and flaky. Looking for the general consensus
around here, but I personally go by the caveat
better safe than sorry.

Thanks

Ed

It depends how much chimney you have as to how much would pile up where if it curled and dropped down. If there are no horizontal sections to catch it and it drops straight into the stove, it is not so great a hazard. My chimney has 30 degree elbows and comes out the top of the stove so it is self-cleaning.

I inspect every year, usually sweep every 2 with a buildup that is about the thickness that you are seeing. Heck, if you are up there staring at it, run the brush down it. Only takes a few min.

Does creosote form evenly along the entire length of the chimney? Or does it form more at the top where it's colder?

Always more at the top.

The more chimney you have the more time it has to cool. Larger diameter chimneys generally move the smoke slower so have more time to cool as well. Exterior chimneys cool faster than mostly interior ones.

If you see it building up top...sweep it. Had two blockages that formed last year and they can build quick. The creosote that I had was not very hard but rather bubbly. It formed as a result of burning crap wood too slow...lesson learned.

I have most of my buildup on the singlewall inside the house. I pull my singlewall every once in a while and if there is no buildup I've found the chimney is clean also.

Matt

Mirrored mine a few weeks ago from the past year and I found nothing. Cleaned out the clean out and called it good. Was a bit of black across from the input but nothing at all anywhere else. Sorry to say, but called it good and didn't clean.
Chad

Most sweeps recommend 1/4" of creosote anywhere in your system to run a brush down. Personally I like to sweep twice a season just for peace of mind and to check things out.

LLigetfa said:
It depends how much chimney you have as to how much would pile up where if it curled and dropped down. If there are no horizontal sections to catch it and it drops straight into the stove, it is not so great a hazard. My chimney has 30 degree elbows and comes out the top of the stove so it is self-cleaning.

Sounds like you should patent this. :-/

Did everyone miss the "hard and flaky"? Sweep my chimney once a year, and it is all just gray ashy stuff. soft and powdery.

Op didn`t denote the color? was it black and flaky?

That I would be concerned about.

Status
Not open for further replies.