How much did you save?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I will be saving up about five hundred bucks a year, maybe some more, with low electricity prices in quebec, and I need to cut the wood I order (675$ for 5 cords of uncut wood).

Wood stove will probably take up to 5 years to pay for itself.

Though, the wood heat is much more appreciated, with warm floors from the basement heating. This has no price. Happy wife.

I totally hate electric baseboard heating, which is my main electrical heating source. You always feel cold with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuck the Canuck
Given the costs of the new stove and the pad and the cost of firewood I don't actually save any money. Yet, I enjoy the fire, it heats the living room very nicely and my new honey likes it very much.
Last month down here we had an ice storm and some parts of Erath County, Texas lost power for up to six days.
Dry wood on the back porch, plenty of kindling and a good wood stove are priceless. A forced air propane furnace is useless when you don't have the electricity to heat your home.

Uhmmm.... we spent 11.000 euros for a BK Ashford, a Nordica Extraflame thermosuprema compact and related paraphernalia (plumbing, water pumps, stove tubes etc). We have a 55% rebate from the government so the whole operation was 5.000 € give or take.
Cost for heating with oil: 2.500€ per year.
Cost of heating with wood: almost zero. ok, you can take into account chainsaw gas & chain oil, power for the log splitter, diesel for the truck to bring wood home and so on and say we spend a couple hundreds €s but I tend to think about these as negligible expenses sooo: wood heating will pay for itself in two winters, after that we’ll go on holiday more frequently

I save a couple thousand a year easy The dump trucks, skid steers, tractors, saws, forks, buckets, trailers, pickup trucks, i owne from work. All the wood i get for free from my neighbors or my tree guy friend delivers it to me or i go over to his yard and pick out what i want..
I purchased this stove thinking i was going to make fires on the weekends, and it quickly became my primary heat, do to how it made my home feel, its a warm heat.. it feels great i can keep my home any temp and not worry about a utility bill
My stove install will be paid in less than 3 years..
I get the most enjoyment knowing Big oil receives no contributions from my household
Im putting in a large solar array and by summer time I will have no utility bills..
As a side note.. my neighbor spent 1k just in the month of January to heat his home

Let's see, I spent $2500 on the Buck stove model 91 and installation materials (stainless liner insulation, etc.). I installed it myself.

I used about 2 1/2 to 3 cords of wood and paid a total of $350.00 for wood.

My total cost was $2850.00

My average light bill is about $110.00 in the new house since November (when I moved in). My old house was a 1923 American Foursquare that cost in excess of $400.00 a month utilities (still actually cost me about $150.00 a month during winter just keeping heat pump on 50 while it is empty).

So not counting the house that is empty I saved $1200.00 plus for heating in a MUCH colder climate (I moved to the mountains).

Another issue - in addition to living in a colder climate - with the wood heat I keep my home almost 10 degrees warmer than my old heat pump. So it would have cost me even more to heat my old home if I kept it to the comfort level I keep my barn/cabin.

Another note: My new house is 2700+ square feet with a skillion and a butterfly roof vs. the 1923 home with 2500 square feet with 9 foot ceilings.

Last edited:
Uhmmm.... we spent 11.000 euros for a BK Ashford, a Nordica Extraflame thermosuprema compact and related paraphernalia (plumbing, water pumps, stove tubes etc). We have a 55% rebate from the government so the whole operation was 5.000 € give or take.
Cost for heating with oil: 2.500€ per year.
Cost of heating with wood: almost zero. ok, you can take into account chainsaw gas & chain oil, power for the log splitter, diesel for the truck to bring wood home and so on and say we spend a couple hundreds €s but I tend to think about these as negligible expenses sooo: wood heating will pay for itself in two winters, after that we’ll go on holiday more frequently
Wow, that Termosuprema is gorgeous! I won't show it to my wife...

Thanks AlbergSteve! It works very well as a wood cooker AND as a boiler but the oven hardly reaches 200C. Too much water to heat I think...
And... it’s been chosen by the wife!

Last edited: