How much energy is your dryer wasting?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Highbeam said:
Trouble with overcooling the dryer exhaust is the same as with overcooling chimney flue exhaust. The liquids will condense, you'll get gallons of water in the duct which will weigh it down or leak out onto the floor.

It seems you could handle this though by inclining the exhaust and collecting the condensation that runs out one end. This is commonly done with modern gas central heaters where the condensate is collected near the air handler and drained or pumped elsewhere. Its also similar to what happens with horizontal bathroom exhaust vents where condensate drains outside during use.

Semipro said:
Highbeam said:
Trouble with overcooling the dryer exhaust is the same as with overcooling chimney flue exhaust. The liquids will condense, you'll get gallons of water in the duct which will weigh it down or leak out onto the floor.

It seems you could handle this though by inclining the exhaust and collecting the condensation that runs out one end. This is commonly done with modern gas central heaters where the condensate is collected near the air handler and drained or pumped elsewhere. Its also similar to what happens with horizontal bathroom exhaust vents where condensate drains outside during use.

Of course with all the lint I imagine that condensate would be more like mud or sludge and clog a system pretty quickly. Not saying it can't be done; rather that it would have some unique challenges that probably don't really make the manufacturers eager to jump on the design bandwagon without some external motivation.

I have a conventional dryer but if y'all worry about this heat loss google the offerings for 'condenser dryer'.

Huh? I have an OAK on my stove. I can barely keep a flame going without it. Found that out when we had 70-80mph winds and the opening to the OAK got drifted over.

Highbeam said:
Seriously Nate, you are in AK and not using an OAK on your BK? Your house must not be as tight as you think. Seems like the farther north you are the more you would benefit from an OAK since every bit of air that your stove blows up the chimney is cold and DRY outside air leaking into your home. Humidity control is a big benefit of OAK.

I wonder why they haven't put an intake duct on dryers yet. Perhaps this will be the next big thing like when they started adding intake systems for water heaters and furnaces. Has anybody looked on their dryer to see if it is possible to add a duct to the intake?

woodgeek said:
I have a conventional dryer but if y'all worry about this heat loss google the offerings for 'condenser dryer'.

Interesting. Thanks. I never knew those existed. Here's a description I found at this website. http://ths.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/laundry/2004120958010854.html

"In a condenser dryer, there are two separate "loops". The inside "loop" of air is sealed from the outside environment - air from within the drum is heated, then blown through the tumbling clothes, then the moisture-laden air is passed through a heat exchanger, where the water recondenses. The same dry air is then reheated, where it is again blown through the drum and clothes, and the cycle begins again (this is a more-or-less continuous process).

The outside "loop" in a condenser dryer consists of either air or water. Some condenser dryer models are air-cooled, and use the ambient room air as a heat sink, by blowing it across the outside of the heat exchanger. These dryers will tend to heat the indoor air in one's laundry room significantly. Note however that ONLY heat is released - all MOISTURE is contained within the unit. The condensed water can be either pumped away to a drain line (e.g. into a standpipe shared with the clothes washer) or stored in a container within the dryer to be emptied later (not all models offer both options). All standalone Euro condenser dryers are of this type, i.e. units from Miele, AEG, Bosch, Asko, Malber, and Eurotech."

A condenser type clothes dryer makes a lot of sense for my application. I could put it in in the same room (effectively) with my Geospring Heat Pump water heater and use the heat from the drier to heat my domestic hot water.

In doing a little research it appears that condensing dryers use about 15% MORE electricity than a standard dryer. But since they don't vent any air outside, they obviously save you there. They also have an up front cost of about twice the price of a regular dryer. I don't think it would make sense for my application.

Semipro said:
A condenser type clothes dryer makes a lot of sense for my application. I could put it in in the same room (effectively) with my Geospring Heat Pump water heater and use the heat from the drier to heat my domestic hot water.

Wonder when someone is going to take the cold return flow from a heatpump and use that for refrigeration?

BeGreen said:
Semipro said:

Wonder when someone is going to take the cold return flow from a heatpump and use that for refrigeration?

I'd thought that myself. Seems like a water heater - fridge combo would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.