How much for a cord of seasoned osage in SW Ohio

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gareth96

Burning Hunk
Feb 8, 2014
SW Ohio
Guy I know said he has about 2 cords of osage (hedge/horse apple) that's been down about 2 years.. said he's never sold wood so doesn't know what it's worth as firewood.. I'm new to this too, so don't know what to offer..

What's a fair offer in SW Ohio for a cord of seasoned osage? I don't know if it was just cut and piled, cut to firewood length, or something in between..

I don't think it's common enough for there to be a market price. I have never seen whole cords of osage advertised.

Also, even though it's osage, if it's just logs sitting in a field, not cut or split, it's not likely to be worth all that much as firewood. Bowmakers and wood turners would have a competing interest, but they'll be harder to find and may be less equipped to cut it up.

Tell him if it has been down for 2 years you will remove it for him, for free. If it is easy to get to,

If it is cut and split price would be the same for any other cord of firewood.

I've yet to pay for any wood yet in SW Ohio. If you look around you can find it cut and stacked for free, you just need to equipment and back strength to go haul it home, and the time to split it.

So it is cut to 15-18" pieces and split..

I could see someone wanting money out of wood they took the time to split then. How much is it worth to you? And do you have to pick it up yourself?

He said he'd take whatever a regular cord of wood is going for... but I don't know the answer to that. I think he'd deliver if I asked, I would have to make 2-3 trips for a cord in my trailer. So $100, $125 as a starting offer?

No more than mixed hardwoods. Osage does not burn that well by itself. It burns much better with some ash or maple burning with it.

First of all, if he never sold wood before I doubt there is 2 cords of wood. 2 cords of wood from 1 tree would be an enormous tree. If you can validate 2 cords, you are doing the work to cut and transporting the wood. I would offer him $70 a cord.

I told him a cord is 4x4x8.. and he said yeah, about 2 cords.. but I said $120 delivered, and he said maybe $120 if I pick it up... I don't have anything to pick it up in right now,nor the time, so I told him to let me know if he still has it come winter and maybe we can work something then.

If his place isn't too far from where you live you could always rent a truck for the day to go and get it. I did this recently to score some wood from someone who was moving. Let's put it this way, you can get an awful lot of split wood in a 14 foot box truck. _g

No more than mixed hardwoods. Osage does not burn that well by itself. It burns much better with some ash or maple burning with it.

I'll have to disagree with you on hedge not burning well by itself. Have burned alot of hedge over the years and when it's really time to heat, thats all that goes in the stove.

I'll have to disagree with you on hedge not burning well by itself. Have burned alot of hedge over the years and when it's really time to heat, thats all that goes in the stove.

+1. it may not be the best stuff to get a cold stove going. but, on a hot coal bed, good night nurse. there is no better. imho.

+1. it may not be the best stuff to get a cold stove going. but, on a hot coal bed, good night nurse. there is no better. imho.
That's kind of what I meant. Once going hot it is great stuff.

That's kind of what I meant. Once going hot it is great stuff.

You are right Pauly. Lighting Hedge in a cold stove is kinda like lighting low grade oil shale with a match! <>

Reactions: Paulywalnut
Status
Not open for further replies.