How Much Have You Burned? Dec Edition

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Caw

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts
Time for the annual check ins to begin! How much have you burned so far?

I've burned about 3/4 a cord. With the insane 64% increase in cost of electricity here in MA this winter I've been using the stove instead of the heat pump this shoulder season. It's a bit of a pain doing so many cold starts but I have the wood and it's a lot cheaper than the electricity.

Here's the stack I'm working from right now, they are 2 cords when full:

33ed2796-e503-418c-8331-b01d76f6e558.jpg

Roughly 1 cord. Several days could have been heat pump but we don't enjoy 20 hours per day of compressor buzzing and 85F discharge temperature.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Probably 2/3rds of a cord of a backup pile that is bit more difficult to access as its near an overhang and gets snow dumped in front of it. Once I clear out my bulkhead, I switch to my easy to get wood. Based on the forecast it could be an "interesting" weekend due to major storm Friday and winds then a freeze.

No idea. Been burning up some partial stacks and bins. Roughly a cord?

I am at about three cord so far since fall switch from just heating domestic water to domestic and running the furnace. Dec has been pretty cold around here and I have been in the shop a fair amount. Been running two full loads a day in the Garn the last few days and lot of cold on the way for the next 10 days here.

About 0.25 chord. About 0.9 m3.

But that needs to be placed into perspective:

Volume heated: 7000 ft3 (200 m3)
Average room temp: 63°F (17°C) **
Heating cycle: May 10 hour daily burn only (time here is defined as first log in time to last log in time per day).
Yearly weather: Actually a very warm autumn, so honestly I did not need to burn as much this year.

** Till this year, I kept up a min 66°F (19°C) room temp, and a much higher average, but this year I decided to experiment and see what I could comfortable live with and so far I am okay with the lower temps and lower fuel consumption.

One and a quarter cords, only have a half one left, that's with a barrel stove in the barn where we are living, gonna have to rob the house stash. The unfinished house has only used 3/4 cord with a real stove in the basement 55F downstairs, 45F upstairs. 59,000 cu.ft. of semi-heated space on two loads a day.
The temp is supposed to be -30 tonight.

1.3 cords. Haven’t turned the heat on yet. 2800 square foot house in Ct keeping the house a comfortable 65-75 degrees Depending upon time of day and when I last loaded the stove.

This year I had 12 face cord of shoulder season wood ready, once we finish the rack we're taking from, we'll have burned 8 face cord.

Just two days ago we ended up burning the last of a stack of ash, our first face cord of hardwood this year. That's real good for us, the wife went from not being sure about burning pine to really liking it.

We have burned some pellets but I'm not sure on the count but can get that for tomorrow.

Reactions: mpaul
I am well into my third cord this season, with about 5 more seasoned cords ready to burn.

My wood use skyrockets when temps are below -20dF. When my current weather pattern breaks (forecast for Sunday 12-25) I probably will have burnt three entire cords, with most of a cord gone in two weeks of cold snap. First lit up in August 2022, as usual.

Probably half a cord. I'm bad at keeping track because I fill the rack near my house when its low and the weather is nice for some exercise. Heat has been on once just to check the system. My gas bill for November was basically where it is at in the middle of the summer.

Not sure on cords but 6 loads like this so far through the boiler since mid-september. Fairly green boxelder and other junk fence line wood so it goes pretty quick.
52534240521_d9442eb141_b.jpg

Reactions: tebenhoh
I'm at about 1 1/2 cords for the last month. 2800 sq' and domestic hot water with an OWB.

Reactions: PAbeech
I think we are a little over 2 cord so far. We waited as long as we could before firing the stove. It's down to -20 this week, so we are going through more wood than when it's above zero. The weather might warm up next week and be in the 20's, but it's below zero until then.