How much land do you have

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
That’s a lot of eggs. What’s the price of organic goats milk or quails eggs? Legal creative accounting could go along way.
Eggs were just an example. We harvest the chickens themselves as well. A full grown heritage rooster would cost close to $50 at a market. I have some alpacas and planning on turkeys and maybe a small herd of dairy goats for our own use. Plus we are developing a large vegetable garden. We could easily hit the $2,000 annually just by feeding ourselves from the property, but I do plan on making some actual income as well. There's a market for high quality chicken feathers, goat leather goods, turkey feathers, alpaca wool goods, and fertilizer from the animals themselves. Not trying to get rich, just make enough to feed the animals (ourselves included).

Reactions: ispinwool
Eggs were just an example. We harvest the chickens themselves as well. A full grown heritage rooster would cost close to $50 at a market. I have some alpacas and planning on turkeys and maybe a small herd of dairy goats for our own use. Plus we are developing a large vegetable garden. We could easily hit the $2,000 annually just by feeding ourselves from the property, but I do plan on making some actual income as well. There's a market for high quality chicken feathers, goat leather goods, turkey feathers, alpaca wool goods, and fertilizer from the animals themselves. Not trying to get rich, just make enough to feed the animals (ourselves included).
Our monthly feed bill is about 1200$ for just the 6 of us

Reactions: SpaceBus
Our lot is 1 acre in the middle of the city. It is bordered by university property in the back that is designated as green space for the next 30 years for what ever that’s worth. City just bought 10,000 sq ft drainage easement to re-channel the stream which means clear cutting that space and sits on the property line between us and the university. We will loose some really big tulip poplars but when the project is all done it will move the house out of the flood zone ( really just fixing a map error). It hasn’t been safe to explorer any since all the hurricanes. So it’s a loose win win I guess. Everyone is surprised when they see our little oasis in the city.
Evan
We looked at properties out in your direction before deciding on Maine. I especially like Elizabethtown right before getting to the more urban coastal areas.
Our monthly feed bill is about 1200$ for just the 6 of us

That's not bad, especially if you buy high quality produce, meat, etc. I can easily spend $50/person every week at our house trying my best to get as much local produce and meat as possible.

We own 1.04 acres here in the burbs but in a nicely wooded and private part of town. I'm adjacent to a 2.5 acre heavily wooded brook conservation lot then across the street are a few acres of old apple orchard with a big spring fed pond and about 35 acres of oak/maple forest.

The old guy who owns it all is very let's call it...interesting but I keep on good terms with him. He cuts and sells standing dead oak at his old orchard stand on the corner. Wish he'd let me go in and help clear it out. He's like 70 and it's 35 acres he can't possible keep up with, there's enough in there for a lifetime, but he let's me go in and tap maples during sugar season so it's all good. I get my wood from local tree guys.

I've considered buying the conservation land next to me but the owners are stubborn and ask way too much for something you can't develop. With their permission I go in and clear up blow downs etc.

We're very happy here. For where I live owning an acre and having nature on 3 sides forever is very rare! Our neighbor is a baseball throw away but we have some nice big poplars and arborvidies between us and we're friendly so it's good.

Front:

20210425_185234.jpg

Side. I'm going to convert the rock garden area to a nice big fire pit with some Adirondack chairs this summer:

20210425_185314.jpg

Back:

20210425_185259.jpg

Was going to mow the grass this weekend but it ruined all day today. Next weekend!

Last edited:
We own 1.04 acres here in the burbs but in a nicely wooded and private part of town. I'm adjacent to a 2.5 acre heavily wooded brook conservation lot then across the street are a few acres of old apple orchard with a big spring fed pond and about 35 acres of oak/maple forest.

The old guy who owns it all is very let's call it...interesting but I keep on good terms with him. He cuts and sells standing dead oak at his old orchard stand on the corner. Wish he'd let me go in and help clear it out. He's like 70 and it's 35 acres he can't possible keep up with, there's enough in there for a lifetime, but he let's me go in and tap maples during sugar season so it's all good. I get my wood from local tree guys.

I've considered buying the conservation land next to me but the owners are stubborn and ask way too much for something you can't develop. With their permission I go in and clear up blow downs etc.

We're very happy here. For where I live owning an acre and having nature on 3 sides forever is very rare! Our neighbor is a baseball throw away but we have some nice big poplars and arborvidies between us and we're friendly so it's good.

Front:

View attachment 278166

Side. I'm going to convert the rock garden area to a nice big fire pit with some Adirondack chairs this summer:

View attachment 278167

Back:

View attachment 278168

Was going to mow the grass this weekend but it ruined all day today. Next weekend!
The stacks look good! Money in the bank!

Reactions: Caw
I have a very small lot in the city (40x100). 3.5 acres of mountain side terrain with massive hemlocks, basswood and hard maple about 45 miles from the city. Across the cottage road from my property the land opens up to a vast old growth forest. There is enough fallen wood to last a lifetime.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Caw, I will be hitting 70 in less than a year. Most of you could not keep up with me.

I wasn't being insulting at all btw. I was just saying my neighbor has more wood than he needs or could possibly process in his lifetime but doesn't want to share. It's his land he can do what he likes!

We have 2.637 acres, and the lot next to us with 2.5 acres is ours to use as we see fit, cut down trees for firewood, and I'm clearing a UTV path around it. Mark Twain Lake has 18,000 acres of water, which is surrounded by 54,000 acres of public land, and is a short walk through the woods.

I'm in a neighborhood, not at all rural or semi rural. Houses next to each other, etc. Most homes in the neighborhood have around .30 acres, my lot is .23 acres. But I can successfully store around 20 cords of wood if my wood shed is 100% full and if I stack on overflow pallets in the yard. For wood gathering, I can go to my in laws farms west of here. My wife's grandfather has land that's around 100 acres, and across the road is his son and he's on the original family farm which is close to 300 acres. So I have options when I want to do some logging but I'm getting spoiled by local tree companies dropping a couple loads of logs in my driveway a few times a year :cool:

One acre here in MA. Had just under 3 acres in NJ.

Reactions: mcdougy