How much longer does it take to dry big splits?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The BK definitely burns better with the dry stuff. But, I don't think twice about tossing in the cutoffs and small split uglies in after a summer in the sun and wind. I have no interest in storing the cutoffs or uglies any longer than I have to.

I used to burn rounds and large splits, but after getting the new furnace everything gets split. I got sick and tired of wrestling large splits to find a load of medium and small splits takes me through the night everytime and produces more heat. Where I used to think the large splits would dry in 8 months to a year would take probably 18-24 months to dry. I found out quickly how un-fun it is to burn half seasoned wood when its in the single digits. I'm going to try to get 2 years ahead. I could see large splits taking 2x's as long to Properly season.

Well it definitely depends a lot on what type of wood you are speaking of. Compare some of Dave's birch with some good solid red or white oak and there is a huge difference. I could cut some soft maple in January or February and it will be ready to burn the following fall with ease. At the same time (Jan or Feb) I could cut some red oak and it would just smolder in the stove the following fall.

Just for kicks I may take some pictures of some of the rounds we burn.

laynes69 said:
I found out quickly how un-fun it is to burn half seasoned wood when its in the single digits. I'm going to try to get 2 years ahead.

I am a solid 2+ ahead. And, I'm sure there will be a constant supply of cut offs and uglies that get split small going forward that get burned same year. The large splits will get 2 to 3 before they get burned and then will likely only get used when I need the heat.

Backwoods Savage said:
Just for kicks I may take some pictures of some of the rounds we burn.

Do you think the rounds are any different than the big splits? Do you think the bark matters that much?

Status
Not open for further replies.