How Much Wood Did U All Burn This Season?

deborita3

Oct 25, 2018
New York
So, as I first time wood burner this season, I was curious as to how much wood everyone burned this season. More this season? Less? Do you burn 24/7 or just during the day and at night but not when you're sleeping which is what my husband and I did this yr since we didn't have enough wood to burn 24/7. We are already preparing for next winter so we can burn 24/7. We burned about 3 cords this season.

electrathon

Minister of Fire
Sep 17, 2015
Gresham, OR
about 4 cords

charger4406

Burning Hunk
Dec 25, 2011
southern Quebec
Still burning the ashford but stopped the F600 about a month ago, should be about 12 cords when done.

Reactions: Ashful

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
About 3 cords. We went through a lot of that in February.

Last edited:
Reactions: deborita3

Sawset

Feeling the Heat
Feb 14, 2015
Palmyra, WI
More this season? Less?
About the same as previous years.
Do you burn 24/7 or just during the day and at night but not when you're sleeping
24/7, stove is going all winter day and night. Early and late in the season it is usually intermittent.

About 5 cord all together, September to now (first part of May). We could do more in May and into June, but probably not use much doing so. It seems what we use follows a nice bell curve with a peak some time in January, and tapering off to almost nothing in Sept and May.

charger4406

Burning Hunk
Dec 25, 2011
southern Quebec
Just measured the hole in my wood pile and it's more like 10 cords, not 12.

Reactions: Ashful

blades

Minister of Fire
Nov 23, 2008
WI, Leroy
Well there is a big hole in the big pile and a couple of stacks that are about 1/2 height and 1 30 gallon trash can of ash. Guestimate 2 cords. Now stove didn't get fired up till the end of Nov. ( new install) . In years past a full season would be about 4 cords That might shrink a bit in the new to me place it has better insulation and such.

Jan Pijpelink

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2015
Lindenwold, South Jersey
18/7 2 stoves. Well insulated house. About 4 cords.

xman23

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2008
Lackawaxen PA
Cut back a lot this year. About 1 1/2 cords, half of the previous year. I'm a weekender, plus a few full time weeks. A milder winter, and better control of the reloads saved a lot of wood. My biggest issue is the overnights. We end up overheating the house, and then cracking the windows. This year we did the right size reload at bed time, then set the thermostat at 65. Most nights the heat doesn't come on by the morning.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink

Alpine1

Feeling the Heat
Apr 27, 2017
Eastern Alps, Italy
Still burning here, not 24/7 at the moment. About 5.5 cords for the whole season, pretty usual for us.

bcrtops

Feeling the Heat
Nov 14, 2016
NW Oregon
3 cords + pallet of NIEL's + pallet of "Bear Bricks" = approx. 5 cords which is normal for us.
Burning 24/7 & morning/evening fire through the shoulder season & into the summer, excepting days that get up into the 80'sF or higher.

edyit

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2014
Wilmington NY
3 full cords, started burning in October ended the middle of April, about an average year for us.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
About 3. Cleaned out my stashes of 3+ YO seasoned (getting ready to reload them ;) ).

A mild winter, but when it got cold, it got cold!! That's when I burned through wood. Otherwise, I would have used 2.

toddnic

Minister of Fire
Jul 13, 2013
North Carolina
3 cords hardwood plus a little pine/hemlock

Dug8498

Feeling the Heat
Jun 20, 2018
Southern NH
We burned 3 cords or so this year which was more than last season; I think the main reason for this is that we started burning way into earlier than I expected. We burn as primary heat source heating 1500 sq ft in southern nh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vwmike

Feeling the Heat
Oct 7, 2013
Chilliwack, BC, Can.
3.5 cords softwood burning 24/7 through the heart of winter and a fire day in the shoulder season.
I'm curious to see what next winter brings as this year the shed is full of birch and maple, and only a little fir.