how much wood do i need?????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CMOZAEKO

Feb 11, 2008
Connecticut
OK so here's the deal, this is our first year burning and are not quite sure how much wood we would need to have. our house is 1500 square feet and we are looking to burn 24/7 thru the season. we are thinking of burning biobrick/liberty logs along with wood and we are not sure how much wood to purchase (cords???) we think we want 1 1/2 tons of the liberty /biobrick but are not sure. what would be a good combination (if any) to do-- all wood?? all biobrick/liberty logs?? or a combo of each?

any help would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks
Cristine

I can't speak to the liberty logs part of the question- but most people use between 3.5 and 5 cord a year heating a season. You're very late getting wood. learn to tell dry from not dry wood, and find a reputable dealer.

The best way to answer this is to understand how much fuel you have used in previous years and then calculate how much of that fuel you can replace with wood. In CT there is a good chance it is oil so rough numbers are:

Every ton of Biobricks or Liberty logs will replace about 110 or 120 gallons of oil.

Every full cord of dry oak will replace about 150 or 160 gallons of oil (some say it is a bit better than that).

Do you already have the wood? If not it might be an issue as many sellers of "seasoned" wood are not selling wood that is seasoned enough. Unless you know for sure that the wood is dry enough it might be better at this late date to go with the bricks/logs.

No problem with mixing the Biobricks or Logs with wood or using them alone. If you use them alone start with just a few at a time until you find how they burn in your stove. They have a lot of energy in a small size so there is some risk of too hot unless you are careful.

i think Senor Pantalones had it about right. If someone asked for a number for someone in CT, I would say 4 cords. Of course you may end up + or - but that is the game we play. My Avalon Olympic does about 4.5 cords going roughly from Nov 1 to Aprilish - 24/7.

4.286456 Cords should be just about right. Of course that is just an approximation. :coolsmile:

Actually, don't be afraid of over buying. The worst case of having too much is a nice seasoned pile of stove chow for the next burning season.

Yeah I agree with Jags. If anything over buy on purpose! Then you'll have a jump start on next year. If you're thinking 4.5 cords is good. Then order 5 cords. Also as a newbie to wood burning, one of the easiest ways to tell dry wood from wet wood is to look at the ends of the splits. They should be cracked, not solid without any cracks. Also by hitting two splits together you should get more of a baseball bat sound then a dull thud. Also you don't want to run out of wood in early March.

Jags said:
4.286456 Cords should be just about right. Of course that is just an approximation. :coolsmile:

Ahh! Demonstrating that precision is not related to accuracy! :)

Ken

Ken45 said:
Jags said:

Ahh! Demonstrating that precision is not related to accuracy! :)

Ken

Precisely accurate. ;-)

I did my own extensive calculations and also came up with 4.286456 cords. What a coincidence that I came to the same number as JAGS. We must have been drinking the same kind of beer.

The only sure thing is that you will know how much you need next year if you run out this year!

Adirondackwoodburner said:
The only sure thing is that you will know how much you need next year if you run out this year!

Actually, and will all due respect to my fellow pyro, you'll know more accurately how much you'll need next year if you DON'T run out this year.........

Considering that every year's needs are different- I suggest that a method akin to Les Nessman's "Eyewitness weather" be employed. You will know how much is needed for the year when you have finished burning for the year in question :)

Theoretically, you'll need more during a cold windy Winter than a relatively warm non-windy Winter.

cmozaeko said:
OK so here's the deal, this is our first year burning and are not quite sure how much wood we would need to have. our house is 1500 square feet and we are looking to burn 24/7 thru the season. we are thinking of burning biobrick/liberty logs along with wood and we are not sure how much wood to purchase (cords???) we think we want 1 1/2 tons of the liberty /biobrick but are not sure. what would be a good combination (if any) to do-- all wood?? all biobrick/liberty logs?? or a combo of each?

thanks
Cristine

How big is your firebox?

Adios Pantalones said:
Considering that every year's needs are different- I suggest that a method akin to Les Nessman's "Eyewitness weather" be employed. You will know how much is needed for the year when you have finished burning for the year in question :)

Just as long as you don't do a turkey giveaway near my house!

i dont thingk you could ever have enough wood split and stacked but you should shot for at least 4 cords make sure its dry you should be able to see lots of cracks in the ends.

Considering that every year’s needs are different- I suggest that a method akin to Les Nessman’s “Eyewitness weather” be employed. You will know how much is needed for the year when you have finished burning for the year in question

Ah, Les... he was great, if your name wasn't "Chy-Chy-Rod-drig-guezz" ;-P

I figure 3-3.5 for me. Burned 3 with the FP only last year. Increased energy effiency, etc, I should be good to go. 4 cords ready + some. And 1/2 of a cord from last year, ready to go.

4 + cords plus more coming from dropped trees on the property, etc, I'm almost done for next year.

Sweet :)

The other thing that makes a differants is what of wood you are burning. Two ago I had mostly Oak and Cherry, last year and this year
I have mostly Sweet gum and Poplar. I think I'll burn 25% more with the lesser woods. I cut/burn what is offered and eazy.

cmozaeko said:

You'll need as much as it takes to keep you warm all year, no more, no less. :roll:
Snyde

You’ll need as much as it takes to keep you warm all year, no more, no less.
Snyde

Actually what if it is an excessively cold year. Dont you think that you may need a little more than it takes you to keep warm all year? Just to compensate up for the extra cold

ScottF said:
Snyde

Actually what if it is an excessively cold year. Dont you think that you may need a little more than it takes you to keep warm all year? Just to compensate up for the extra cold

"Coming up in the third half of our show..."

ScottF said:
Snyde

Nope, the same applies. It would only take more if you wanted to stay HOT all year. :ahhh:
Snyde

Status
Not open for further replies.