How much wood should I expect to burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

384sqft

Hearth Supporter
Oct 8, 2009
Arkansas
OK The cabin is 384 sqft (walls and ceiling are insulated floor isn't but the place is underpined), the stove is a VC Vigilant, We live in northern Arkansas. Is there some math way to figure out how much wood I need? I'm going to start gathering the stuff that came down during Febs ice storm and then start cutting the worst of the damaged trees. I hope to get enough dry wood to make it through this winter.

Thanks

Lily

In technical terms, not a whole helluva lot

I'd say get 5 cord together if you can - which may go you near 2 years. The best way to figure out how much you'll need is to gather more than you need and burn, then use the excess the following year. That stuff may be a little wet this year if it has been laying as whole trees since feb. Make sure you check and clean the chimney frequently this year, and keep in mind that with good dry wood you will need even less than you use this winter. Whatever you gather now will be prime for winter 2010-2011 - so if you have the time get your whole supply for next winter together now

384sqft said:
OK The cabin is 384 sqft (walls and ceiling are insulated floor isn't but the place is underpined), the stove is a VC Vigilant, We live in northern Arkansas. Is there some math way to figure out how much wood I need? I'm going to start gathering the stuff that came down during Febs ice storm and then start cutting the worst of the damaged trees. I hope to get enough dry wood to make it through this winter.

Thanks

Lily

I'm assuming this is the old VC Vigilant as the new ones are coal.

I have an old VC vigilant. I ran mine 24/7 all winter. I went through 4.5 cords.

Thanks guys

The hope is to not have to use it 24/7 just when it's needed. Right now it's been cool and if it was set up and we had wood it would be so tempting to light a small fire and just use the fire place option. But we are trying to be conserative about things. So I get up in the mornings put on my winter slipers and sweater and fix breakfast. The heat the cook stove puts off seem to take the chill out of the air but it's still only in the 60s inside. It won't be long though until it is in the 40s inside and I will be needing to fire up the wood stove.

384sqft said:
Thanks guys

The hope is to not have to use it 24/7 just when it's needed. Right now it's been cool and if it was set up and we had wood it would be so tempting to light a small fire and just use the fire place option. But we are trying to be conserative about things. So I get up in the mornings put on my winter slipers and sweater and fix breakfast. The heat the cook stove puts off seem to take the chill out of the air but it's still only in the 60s inside. It won't be long though until it is in the 40s inside and I will be needing to fire up the wood stove.

WoW at 384sqft.......buy yourself 4 candles and you should be all set!! :)

Kudooos to you for downsizing!!

Well Thanks for the Kudos Wryfly but we didn't exactly do it on purpose....

Life has been rather rough on us and we ended up here. We were living in an old house that was built by my Grandpa but a tornado took care of that so we built what we could afford (with lots of help from friends).. Never thought about the "Small/Tiny" house movment until after we moved in and I was researching ideas for heating and storage etc.

We are choosing to be conservative mainly cause we don't have the money to not be. Before the crap it the fan for us we didn't blow our paychecks but we did have everything we needed and several of our wants.

Life can change in an instant! Our life changing moment happened Jan 3rd 2007 at about 6PM on a dirt road in Nebraska.

Thanks

Lily

384sqft said:
Well Thanks for the Kudos Wryfly but we didn't exactly do it on purpose....

Life has been rather rough on us and we ended up here. We were living in an old house that was built by my Grandpa but a tornado took care of that so we built what we could afford (with lots of help from friends).. Never thought about the "Small/Tiny" house movment until after we moved in and I was researching ideas for heating and storage etc.

We are choosing to be conservative mainly cause we don't have the money to not be. Before the crap it the fan for us we didn't blow our paychecks but we did have everything we needed and several of our wants.

Life can change in an instant! Our life changing moment happened Jan 3rd 2007 at about 6PM on a dirt road in Nebraska.

Thanks

Lily

Wow Lily, I'm sorry that you had to experience that! My wife grew up in western Tenn. and has shared many stories with me. Sounds like a terrifying experience. I grew up in Maine...and i gotta say, I'll take 40 below zero any day over dealing with tornadoes.

I am very familiar with building sciences (crazy architect) and would be more than happy if you wanted to talk about your building envelope and air tightness.......we could heat that space with a couple candles and maybe a sleeping dog!! :)

Ryan

Wryfly,

I'd be grateful for any and all advice on heating the cabin.

The cabin is basicly one room (bathroom is enclosed). It is 16 by 24 and is about 11ft from floor to ceiling. Interior is drywall exterior is some sort of siding board. It is pretty well insulated except for the floor but I was told that due to the location and our climate it isn't wise to insulate the floor so we just underpined it. We currently have 4 windows but will be taking one out to make room for the stove pipe installation.

Oh and I think I accidentally made you think that the life changing moment was caused by a tornado... It wasn't My hubby used to drive truck for a living and Jan. 07 he was in an accident that caused brain damage went from being a 48yr old guy to mentally about 12. The tronado didn't happen till the next year. We are still chugging along though just keep looking around for the next kick in the gut.

Anyway any heatting Ideas that won't cost us a fortune would be much appreciated.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Tornadoes are devastating!

If you are cutting deadfall now, only the very tops of the trees will be dry enough for this year if even that. But definitely, get the rest split and stacked so you are ready for next year.

384sqft said:
Wryfly,

I'd be grateful for any and all advice on heating the cabin.

The cabin is basicly one room (bathroom is enclosed). It is 16 by 24 and is about 11ft from floor to ceiling. Interior is drywall exterior is some sort of siding board. It is pretty well insulated except for the floor but I was told that due to the location and our climate it isn't wise to insulate the floor so we just underpined it. We currently have 4 windows but will be taking one out to make room for the stove pipe installation.

Oh and I think I accidentally made you think that the life changing moment was caused by a tornado... It wasn't My hubby used to drive truck for a living and Jan. 07 he was in an accident that caused brain damage went from being a 48yr old guy to mentally about 12. The tronado didn't happen till the next year. We are still chugging along though just keep looking around for the next kick in the gut.

Anyway any heatting Ideas that won't cost us a fortune would be much appreciated.

The old Vigilant will burn green wood and still produce decent heat. Just be sure to check for creosote regularly. The last thing you need is to add 'chimney fire' to you list of life hurdles.

guess I'll need to invest in more than one chimney brush and just go ahed and attach a ladder to the cabin.....Sound like I'll be up there a lot. Hey maybe I can use it as a deer stand when I'm not up there cleaning out the chimney. Right next to the chimney ought to be a warm place to sit and wait.....

Hello Lily, welcom to the forum (I am very sorry to hear about the unfortunate chain of events that have befallen you).
Since you do not plan on burning 24/7 and taking into consideration the living square footage, I dont think you will need that many cords to see you through this winter. with 2-3 cords you'll probably have some left over in the spring depending on how often & for how long you burn.
How much wood do you have cut up so far, do you have a log splitter?

Thanks Fred,

Currently I think I have 1/2 rick. Was't sure what we were going to do for heat this winter until this stove was given to us. Now I have to figure out all the ins and outs and how to set it all up. Someone else gave us 6" pipe but I'm guessing that won't work so now we have to buy 8".... I've gone to every store in town that sells stove stuff and can't find or order a board to go under the stove so I've got that to figure out

Oh and my log spliter is me and a spliting maul.... It's going to be a L-O-N-G winter...

with only 385 sq ft and an open floor plan, you probably will use 2 cords. but like it was suggested, cut 5 or 6 and you wont have to do it again for a few years!

Lily I know you have a full plate, but you also seem like a very competent woman. I saw your other thread regarding the liner issue, and although I would have thought an adapter would be ok I think the suggestion to go with the appropriate 8" would be wise, especially when dealing with the old fire issue.
This stuff is not cheap so I understand your predicament, half the problem with these situations is usually sourcing. There are though a couple of relevant & recent threads where companies cover the shipping, Im sure you've seen some of them, that may be an option to pursue. How long of a run do you think you have in the chimney.
I do have to say though that the folks here are incredibly knowledgeable & equally friendly, a good bunch.

Welcome to the forum Lily.

Sounds like life has dealt you a couple of extremely hard blows. Well, it does happen to a lot of us. Personally, I can easily relate to what you are going through; not the same exact circumstances but the hard blows. Life dealt some to us too and sometimes those blows come while you are already down. Enough of that though.

I'll only comment on the wood supply. With the square footage you have and in your climate, I'd be extremely surprised if you went through more than 2 cords of wood and probably not that much. And don't fear the splitting. Take your time; do a little each day; learn as you go. Just don't get too big of a splitting maul if that is your choice for splitting. If it were me, I'd get a sledge hammer and 2 steel wedges. Try to use only one wedge but sometimes you need two. Take your time hitting the wedge and don't feel you have to hit it really hard. Hit accurately and not hard. So it takes a few more swings to split. Who cares as long as it works good? Keep an eye on the wedges. If the edges start showing signs that they might split off a chip you can file that away so that nobody gets hurt.

Good luck to you and your family. It sounds like you have others that will help out and that is good. It probably makes them feel good to be able to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.