How much wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hilly

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
May 28, 2006
Vancouver Island, Canada
As I stated in another thread, I've only been burning since March, so I'm not sure how much wood I'll need for this season. The stove I've got is a Regency I2400 and my house is a 2400 sq ft 'A' frame with an open floor plan. I live on Vancouver Island almost due west of Bellingham WA. I'll probably light the fire each afternoon and run it through the evening and part of the night. Any estimates would be appreciated!

very hard to estimate allot of variables insulation in the attic walls, type of windows , how many, how big.

type of wood youll be using. how cold you load your house for (ie: heat load calculation) try the stove and you'll find out.

thanks
Jason

I think about 3 cords would do it if you have hard wood. Your climate isn't that cold. If your going to burn any kind of pine that you have a lot of there, I'd guess closer to 6 cords. Pine burns REALLY fast compared to something like elm or maple.

My sister lives on Bainbridge Is. and heats a 1300 sqft ranch with poor insulation using a Lopi Answer and 2 pallets of sawdust logs. (no binder type) per year.

I've heard that Victoria is drier than Vancouver, but isn't that whole coast pretty wet? And summer isn't that hot. How do you ever get wood to dry there? I guess softwood dries faster, but still.

Generally the south Island ( I live about a 1 hr drive north of Vic) is much drier than Vancouver and it isn't as wet as the west coast of the island. It hasn't rained here in about a month and the temperatures are in the 70's and 80's so I don't think I'll have much trouble getting my wood dry.

I would start with at least 5 cord to be safe. If you start burning around Oct. you might need more than 5 cord. Hope this helps.

John

Seems like most people on this forum average 3 to 4 cords per year. I like to have 2 years worth just incase I need extra.

Another way is to figure how much oil you will be saving these are estimates but one cord of wood produces t about the same vollume of 175 gallons of oil. Want to save 500 plus gallons you will need 3 cords Your milage may vary

Status
Not open for further replies.