how now to keep mice out of ovens esp th insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanw

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2008
ky
Just got rid of the older double oven unit. Mivrowave on top....
Hubby brought from other house an older black glass oven that came years ago used with a microwave on top
Hubby took it apart years ago and we used itOven) for several years till kitchen was about done. then he put it out in that garage for over prob 5 yr...we discared the old microwave then....
Now brought it TO house. DANg mice ..Hopefully they ONLY rearranged the yellow insulation.I assume fiberglass.... by taking it out from an aluminum heatshield(like heavy foil )making a nest on top of the area...
so can we just put it back? or can we replace it with the Roxul ????
Dang wish Hubby took off the outer metal piece sooner.... Only reason he did was to acess the wiring.....Be cause an appliance repair guy came by today.. He was here to see if he wanted the old GE double unit... He didnt. But he and his son carted it outside for $20....
So what yall think...??? Heck that mess could have been done years ago when we obtained the unit... or was done for the 5 yr or so was stored in garage.....
do yall need to see pics of the damage? P2120218.JPGP2120214.JPGP2120215.JPGP2120217.JPG

Last edited:
That sucks. Hard to tell how far back the damage goes.

Just got rid of the older double oven unit. Mivrowave on top....
Hubby brought from other house an older black glass oven that came years ago used with a microwave on top
Hubby took it apart years ago and we used itOven) for several years till kitchen was about done. then he put it out in that garage for over prob 5 yr...we discared the old microwave then....
Now brought it TO house. DANg mice ..Hopefully they ONLY rearranged the yellow insulation.I assume fiberglass.... by taking it out from an aluminum heatshield(like heavy foil )making a nest on top of the area...
so can we just put it back? or can we replace it with the Roxul ????
Dang wish Hubby took off the outer metal piece sooner.... Only reason he did was to acess the wiring.....Be cause an appliance repair guy came by today.. He was here to see if he wanted the old GE double unit... He didnt. But he and his son carted it outside for $20....
So what yall think...??? Heck that mess could have been done years ago when we obtained the unit... or was done for the 5 yr or so was stored in garage.....
do yall need to see pics of the damage? View attachment 174668View attachment 174669View attachment 174670View attachment 174671
Had a similar problem when I moved into my current house (2001). The first time my wife fired up the oven there was a smell that would gag you. Found that mice had been storing dry dog food in the insulation in the back of the oven. Just another of those 3 hr. projects take out all the insulation and replacing it. Set up traps and caught the culprits. No problems since.

unbeliveably industrious little buggers filled the glove box and a third of the area under the dash ( they used the foam from the seat -little basxxxxx) of one of my trucks in a couple days- took 3 weeks to get rid of the stench though. Still need to repair seat. Mice and ants both a royal pain.

This is just too close to home. My stepdaughter recently moved into a rental that hadn't been occupied for several years (close to our place). She tried to use the oven and the smell was horrible. I removed the stovetop and the mice had done a number on the insulation just as you provided.

I made the mistake of trying to replace the insulation with common pink insulation without knowing any better, but it released some kind of gas that set off the smoke alarms. I've since learned that you need to get the proper stuff which is more expensive, but necessary. Do a search for the right kind of insulation for your model range and it will be about $100, but there is no choice. Fortunately, it's not too difficult. I sympathize.

Keep the mice out of the house and in particular out of the kitchen. Figure out how they are getting in there and plug those passageways thoroughly. Usually this is from below in a crawlspace or basement. They squeeze alongside holes used for plumbing supplies or drains, electrical wires, etc.. Pack around these holes and/or use rodent barrier Great Stuff to completely seal these passageways. And remember that they can squeeze through some very tiny gaps.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/GREAT-STUFF-16-oz-Pestblock-Insulating-Foam-Sealant-11034540/203282346

Hey, begreen, thanks for the link. My stepdaughter's place has been unoccupied for several years and the mice are still a problem. I've plugged holes with steel wool which I think does help, but was unaware of that product. I've used that brand as an insulation product in the past but not for this. I'm going to get some. It sounds like a better solution.

BTW, if anyone is interested in good mouse traps, I can recommend two, much better than the old school Victor types.

Unoccupied homes get hit hard by vermin. Our house was terrible when we first bought it. Steel wool helps but I wouldn't use it around copper pipe holes. FWIW, the final solution for our house was to eliminate the post and pier foundation and put a proper full perimeter foundation under the house. No varmints since then.

Reactions: Sprinter
Unoccupied homes get hit hard by vermin. Our house was terrible when we first bought it. Steel wool helps but I wouldn't use it around copper pipe holes. FWIW, the final solution for our house was to eliminate the post and pier foundation and put a proper full perimeter foundation under the house. No varmints since then.
What is weird about her place is that the only place I've caught mice lately is in the forced air duct work, and only in one place now. I can't crawl under there anymore, but I'm going to get someone more agile than I to see if there is some little breach somewhere.

I should say that she doesn't use the forced air furnace...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.