How often and to clean liner.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Welderman85

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2017
Chesaning MI
Have had a few fires now and was wondering when I should brush my liner. Also is the soot water a good unit. I installed a forever flex liner

Have had a few fires now and was wondering when I should brush my liner. Also is the soot water a good unit. I installed a forever flex liner
You need to clean as often as is needed. The general rule is 1/8" of buildup

Assuming you meant to say Soot Eater. It works well for me. Durable. Easy to use. Reasonable price. Believe you will get more similar responses.

Like mentioned above... an 1/8" buildup is a good indicator of needing swept. Being this is your first year burning with new stove i would sweep once a month to get a idea of how much crud is building up in the chimney.

I clean my liner with a sooteater twice a year. How often you need to do it depends on on a lot of factors. After you do it a couple of times you'll get an idea of how clean or dirty your flue is getting.

Thank you. I have only burned around 3 weekends. But I'm very new . I will pick up a brush and check it out.

Would I check it by te rain cap for build up or where is the best spot

The most should be where it's coolest (the top).

If the top is hard to get to, just give the sooteater a run and see how much crud you get. If you get hardly anything, everything's fine and you can wait longer between sweepings next time.

Bear in mind that if you figure out that you need to sweep every 6 months, that can still change. Your next batch of wood is wetter, the weather gets warmer and you burn lower... now you need to sweep a lot more often.

20191226_162726.jpg 20191226_162752.jpg
How does this look?

I wouldn't bother cleaning that now.

You need to clean as often as is needed. The general rule is 1/8" of buildup
"1/8" of buildup"......meaning soot or creosote? If i go 2 years i have about a gallon and a half of soot....hardly any black flakes and the top is always spotless ..not even soot.....why is this? House is a colonial with a 34' uninsulated liner.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

"1/8" of buildup"......meaning soot or creosote? If i go 2 years i have about a gallon and a half of soot....hardly any black flakes and the top is always spotless ..not even soot.....why is this? House is a colonial with a 34' uninsulated liner.

Im guessing good wood burned properly.

Im guessing good wood burned properly.
Yes makes sense and and im guessing my incredibly strong draft has something to do with it....

An 1/8" of buildup is the guidline it doesn't matter what that buildup is. But clearly spot is better