How often do you replace your chimney liner - if ever?

  • Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

    We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

    We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ilovedougfir

Member
Aug 1, 2021
18
Monroe WA
I was kind of surprised to come across an article that seems to imply stainless steel liners need to be replaced every 15-20 years. I'm coming up on that but wow are liners expensive. But it got me thinking.... Im not sure how I'd know if I had an issue. Short of having someone come out with a camera on a string they could drop down there - Im not sure how anyone would know it was time to replace a liner.

Thoughts?

 
  • Like
Reactions: Turbo89
The liner I purchased in 2023 has a lifetime warranty. Any burn through they will replace it. This is only when used with wood for fuel. Coal voids that lifetime warranty
 
  • Like
Reactions: Burnin Since 1991
I was kind of surprised to come across an article that seems to imply stainless steel liners need to be replaced every 15-20 years. I'm coming up on that but wow are liners expensive. But it got me thinking.... Im not sure how I'd know if I had an issue. Short of having someone come out with a camera on a string they could drop down there - Im not sure how anyone would know it was time to replace a liner.

Thoughts?

I start scanning light wall liners at 15 years. Heavy wall at 20. Yes they can fail but it isnt common unless they are abused.
 
The liner I purchased in 2023 has a lifetime warranty. Any burn through they will replace it. This is only when used with wood for fuel. Coal voids that lifetime warranty
Most warrantys are for the lifetime of the product. For liners that is usually rated at between 15 and 25 years
 
Im sure this is why insurance companies want you to get a sweep out annual. I’ve debated buying a cheap borescope to inspect mine annually, the short ones aren’t terribly expensive, I bet someone makes a cheap wireless / Bluetooth one you could tape to that sweep rods.
 
I specifically asked that question. They said as long as I am the original owner the liner is warrantied indefinitely with the use of wood fuel only.
What brand is it?
 
Im sure this is why insurance companies want you to get a sweep out annual. I’ve debated buying a cheap borescope to inspect mine annually, the short ones aren’t terribly expensive, I bet someone makes a cheap wireless / Bluetooth one you could tape to that sweep rods.
Wireless generally has trouble when used in a chimney
 
Wireless generally has trouble when used in a chimney
The pipe is a close approximation of a faraday cage. The openings at the top and bottom are small as compared to the dimensions of its length.