How old is too old?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djs_net

Nov 25, 2011
CT
When I bought my stove (Breckwell P2000i) on Craigslist last year I was told it was about 7 years old. It was in great shape and looked like it hadn't been used in a while. I traced the S/N and found out it was manufactured in 1998. I don't feel ripped off, I got it for a song.
Reading other posts reminded me how basic my unit it...no thermostat, no OAK, no removeable ash bin, very basic heat and fan settings, etc. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to invest in a different make/model and determine if I should buy new or used. I certainly wouldn't mind something that was a little easier to clean.

Is it a classic or a piece of junk? :confused:

Its a classic and built like a take compared to the newer breckwells. Only problem is the larger burnpot isn't produced anymore and the newer one is way too small. It may also have the large convection blower(250 CFM) and the new units only have 140 CFM blowers(again way too small).

Does it have the digital control panel?

I cannot find a pic of my exact control panel, mine doesn't have the switch at the top. Here is what the replacement part looks like:

BWce301_LRG.jpg

Its a digital, But a tweeny(in between). Older digital boards had a jumper setup to control the Auto/Off-Hi/Lo-Manual settings(stat control) on the back of the board. Nothing wrong with them and they seem to last. Newer ones had issues until the latest revision(CB-403).

Run it for a while and get the hang of pellet burning(swine flu will get cha anyway). Then sell it off or trade it in. Look into a Multifueler with a self cleaning burnpot for no pellet pickyness Or a Harman. But as long as you keep it cleaned and maintained properly she last a good while for ya!

If you need something, Holler there are many Breckwell owners here. ;) I may have a copy of the older manual on anoter drive. I dig a little and if I find it I'll post it for ya!

Its a digital, But a tweeny(in between). Older digital boards had a jumper setup to control the Auto/Off-Hi/Lo-Manual settings(stat control) on the back of the board. Nothing wrong with them and they seem to last. Newer ones had issues until the latest revision(CB-403).

Run it for a while and get the hang of pellet burning(swine flu will get cha anyway). Then sell it off or trade it in. Look into a Multifueler with a self cleaning burnpot for no pellet pickyness Or a Harman. But as long as you keep it cleaned and maintained properly she last a good while for ya!

If you need something, Holler there are many Breckwell owners here. ;) I may have a copy of the older manual on anoter drive. I dig a little and if I find it I'll post it for ya!

Thanks for the reply, this forum has definately helped me get comfortable burning pellets, after a year, I'm starting to feel like a vet.

I actually received the original manual when I bought the stove, plus I downloaded the .pdf they have on the website. If you have the older version in digital format, I'd love to have that too. Thanks!

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it... especially if I don't have to spend money on things other than pellets. It would be nice to have some of the more modern amenities.

That control panel strongly resembles the one on my St Croix, as least the button and LED layout.

Status
Not open for further replies.