How old is your pellet stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Northwoodneil

Feeling the Heat
Feb 10, 2012
Land of Cheese
Another thread got me thinking about this and when I searched for the answer nothing popped up. So how old is your pellet stove and a guess at how many tons have been through it.
1998 Harman PC45 (I bought used in 2008) I must be close to 75 tons plus it ran on straight corn the first 10 years before me.

Bought mine new on New Years Eve 2015, installed over the next couple weeks.
Rest of that winter about 1.5 ton.
3 to 3.5 ton each winter afterwards, so say 3.25 ton x 6 winters = 19.5 ton. So 21 ton total.

Just realized I’ll have been in this house for 7 years in December. 4th year by myself. Wow time flies.

Reactions: FirepotPete
I have a 2012 P43 (bought/installed used fall of 2015). The P61a is of 2013 vintage and installed early January 2014 (2 months after I moved here). I didn't start keeping records of pellet usage until the 2016/2017 heating season. Since then I've gone thru 30.9 tons. Neither stove works hard as they aren't heating large areas.

I used at least 3 tons for the first season of the P61a (I bought 2 tons at time of install and had to buy more). I average 5-6 tons each year (until the last 2 seasons that have been very mild). So that comes out to real close to 45 tons since January 2014.

Purchased and had installed, one Harman P61a, November of 2014. Starting 9th burning season. Average 5.5-6.5 tons a year, depending on how nasty mother nature is. Low side, 44 ton, high side, 52 tons. Only issues have been operator errors! " I thought YOU put pellets in it!" Stove is still all original.

2.5 tons of corn per year + a couple ton of pellets when I first bought it. Learned to burn the corn and never looked back. Only buy a bag of pellets every couple of years just for starting the stove.

First Harman is a pellet pro 2 and is from 1989, running well across the street with only a new combustion fan. I replaced that with a 1998 P61-2 a few years ago and put a new combustion fan in and kept the original as a back up.

Is corn that much cheaper? How about heat out put.

Judging by the responses pellet stoves are very much durable goods as opposed to something like a flat screen TV. So even a high purchase price divided out over 20+ years seems more palatable.

2008 Santa Fe. Fans and augur motor have needed replacement, as well as top baffle and door gasket. But it runs as well as ever -- better since I finally added an OAK.

Reactions: VintageGal
Judging by the responses pellet stoves are very much durable goods as opposed to something like a flat screen TV. So even a high purchase price divided out over 20+ years seems more palatable.

Must say that my flatscreen TV is older than either of my stoves (2010 Samsung). But it ain't nearly as usefull.

My P61a had an ROI of less than a year since I got it when propane was at about $5.50/gal. I was paying about $1k per month to heat this place to 64* with the boiler - and that was only the main floor. With the P61a, the basement has heat and even with both stoves going, I spend $1,200-1,500 per year for heat depending on what deals I find on CL or from HD (including upped electric use). The P43 cost so little off CL that its ROI wasn't long and more along the lines of keeping the main floor more of a comfortable temp all the way to the bedrooms as opposed to a requirement to survive.

Vermont Castings Reliance 2220, bought and self installed in 1992, picture below Christmas 2003. Still doing the job, at least two tons each year, and likelier a few more I'd say. Call it 65-75 tons estimate. I have replaced the auger motor / gearbox / bearings for auger once, made a steel heat shield for auger to shield auger twin bearings from the heat/cinders of fire ... and I replaced the fire box a couple years ago too due to cracking open weld seams. I think I'm on my third flue, the ss inner survives but eventually the outer galvanized steel shell starts getting ugly.

14.JPG

I bought and installed a lopi foxfire in 1996. Have replaced both blower motors and a startup timer block 3 years ago. I have burned 2 - 2 1/2 tons a year for 26 years, 60 tons or so It's been a great stove .

Another thread got me thinking about this and when I searched for the answer nothing popped up. So how old is your pellet stove and a guess at how many tons have been through it.
1998 Harman PC45 (I bought used in 2008) I must be close to 75 tons plus it ran on straight corn the first 10 years before me.
My first stove was a US Stove 6039, after a lot of parts replacements it was retired in 2010- Still works but requires adult supervision! Replaced with an AES Magnum Countryside in 2010, still going strong with only a control board, wiring harness, feed motor, and stirrer replaced. Go through a couple tons a year, mostly pellets but corn when available and lower priced.

Will be starting my 12th winter (Enviro M55) We love the high heat output! Only stove we’ve ever had so I can’t compare…Keep it Clean, keep it clean, enjoy keeping Toasty!
Bill ll

Is corn that much cheaper? How about heat out put.
I don't have any experience with it, but since no one else answered your question, I'll tell you what I know about it.

Corn and wood pellets have a similar BTU/lb if at the right moisture content (I don't know what that % is).

Not all pellet stoves can handle corn efficiently.

My book says not to burn more than 50% corn/pellet mix in my stove.

My stove dealer (whom I don't trust) said that even if corn was free, it wouldn't be worth burning it.

I got my Castle Serenity stove 5 years ago. I have had the luck of not changing any part of it thus far. I did get a couple of ignitors last year just to have them in case it dies in the middle of the winter, but I haven't had any need for them.

Currently replacing the piping as it was attached to a Class A 8" chimney and I got rid of that. I am still really happy with it, but I do want to buy a controller (mod) to reduce the rate the auger feeds the pot, as some days it gets too hot even in the lowest setting.

1992 Austroflamm insert,bought used in 2008 proverbial tank. No bells or whistles manual start. I burn 3 tons on average we have long winters here in upstate NY sometimes 4 ton if cold nights arrive early and leave late.
Finally got in a position to have a backup on everything, fuses, auger motor, limit switch sensors, air sensor, gaskets and circuit board. PITA waiting for parts to ship especially if things happen on a Friday and Monday is a holiday.

2008 Quad Mt Vernon AE. replaced combustion motor, auger motor, ignitors and a couple of 15 amp fuses. changed out to inline fuse connector. 3-4 tons/year so somewhere between 45-60 tons total.

2009 Quad Mt Vernon AE in finished basement. basement has family room, guest room, sewing room and reloading room. all original parts, probably about 1 ton/year

Picked up a used 2006 Harman Accentra insert for $1,500.00. The stove was hardly used as the owners sold the house after installing the stove and the new owners never used it. We installed it today and test fired it. Works great.

Reactions: bogieb